Aspects of the Archaeology Collections | Searchable Databases | Collection Highlights | Institute of Archaeology
The Institute of Archaeology was formally opened in 1937 as a centre for teaching and research in archaeology. Today, it is pre-eminent in the world of archaeology, heritage studies, museum studies and conservation studies, offering a broad variety of undergraduate and post-graduate degree programmes.
The collections play an important role in teaching and research at the Institute. Originally formed by the gift from Sir Flinders Petrie of his Palestinian collection in 1936, the collections have grown with objects from around the world that today form an internationally important collection. Details of the collections held at the Institute can be found on the following pages and although visits to the collection are by appointment only, these can be easily arranged by contacting the collections manager.
To find out more about the individual collections, click their links on the right-side menu.
A wide range of teaching, learning and research resources are available to students and staff at the Institute of Archaeology. These include the library, photographic laboratory, The Wolfson Archaeological Science Laboratories, Archaeological and Geographic Information Systems Laboratory and Archival Material. Click here to find out more.
The Institute of Archaeology was ranked second in the Guardian Newspaper's league table (published on 28 May 2002) of the 34 Institutions teaching archaeology in the UK. Click here to find out more about teaching at the Institute.