The Institute of Archaeology Collections
Aspects of the Archaeology Collections
The Institute of Archaeology was formally opened in 1937 as a centre for teaching and research in archaeology. Today, it is pre-eminent in the world of archaeology, heritage studies, museum studies and conservation studies, offering a broad variety of undergraduate and post-graduate degree programmes.
The collections play an important role in teaching and research at the Institute. Originally formed by the gift from Sir Flinders Petrie of his Palestinian collection in 1936, the collections have grown with objects from around the world that today form an internationally important collection. Details of the collections held at the Institute can be found on the following pages and although visits to the collection are by appointment only, these can be easily arranged by contacting the collections manager.