Memphis under Roman rule
Fragments of columns from several Roman and Byzantine buildings in Memphis.
(click on the pictures for a larger image)
Petrie excavated at Memphis the remains of a church (Petrie 1911: 24):
'at the left side are a limestone capital and a band of foliage, from the church south of the Ptah temenos. These are the only remains of the building and date it to about 520 AD on comparison with the work of Theodoria and the capitals of Mercuruis at S. Clemente '
Copyright © 2002 University College London. All rights reserved.