Distribution of finds from West Thebes (1896)
The distribution lists in the archives of the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology indicate that finds from the 1896 Petrie excavations at West Thebes went to the following, beside the Egyptian Museum, Cairo:
Other finds were retained by Petrie for teaching and research, and are now in the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology, University College London. A few were assigned directly to the Edwards Collection, in other words to the Petrie Museum as it was before the core collection merged with the Petrie collection in 1913. Some finds may have gone to Martyn Kennard, one of the sponsors for the excavation; Kennard in turn sent some items in his collection to public museums such as the British Museum and the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, and others, probably the bulk, were sold at auction in 1912.
Note that the list may be incomplete; some finds may have been assigned but not sent. Substantial time and resources are still needed for the task of checking the archival records against the inventories of so many museums. Some of the collections may no longer exist, with transfers from one place to another.
Copyright © 2001 University College London. All rights reserved.