Distribution of finds from Naqada
The distribution lists in the archives of the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology indicate that finds from the 1894-1895 Petrie excavations at Naqada and Ballas went to the cities written below in black, beside the Egyptian Museum, Cairo:
These records are not complete; from the research by E Baumgartel, other collections are known to house objects from Naqada, and these are listed above in red.
Other finds were retained by Petrie for teaching and research, and are now in the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology, University College London. Some may have gone to Martyn Kennard, one of the sponsors for the excavation; Kennard in turn sent some items in his collection to public museums such as the British Museum and the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, and others, probably the bulk, were sold at auction in 1912.
Note that the list may be incomplete; some finds may have been assigned but not sent. Substantial time and resources are still needed for the task of checking the archival records against the inventories of so many museums. Some of the collections may no longer exist, with transfers from one place to another.
Copyright © 2002 University College London. All rights reserved.