Distribution of finds from Hu
The distribution lists in the archives of the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology indicate that finds from the 1899 Petrie excavations at Hu went to the following cities, beside the Egyptian Museum, Cairo (the collection within the city is given, where the records name it):
NOTE: the same files include distribution of finds from the Naville excavations of the Egyptian Exploration Fund at Deir el-Bahri, and from work in the Fayum - some of the cities below may not have finds from Hu
Other finds were retained by Petrie for teaching and research, and are now in the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology, University College London. The distribution list for 1899 also records finds going to the Edwards Collection directly - that was one name for the collection before Petrie sold his own collection to the University in 1913, creating the combined resource of Edwards and Petrie collections that forms the core of the present museum holdings.
Note that the list may be incomplete; some finds may have been assigned but not sent. Substantial time and resources are still needed for the task of checking the archival records against the inventories of so many museums. Some of the collections may no longer exist, with transfers from one place to another.
Copyright © 2002 University College London. All rights reserved.