Distribution of finds from Hawara, Gerzeh and Memphis 1911
The distribution lists in the archives of the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology indicate that finds from the 1910-11 Petrie excavations at Hawara, Gerza and Memphis went to the following cities, beside the Egyptian Museum, Cairo (the collection within the city is given, where the records name it):
The archive file also records the name Hibbard.
Other finds were retained by Petrie for teaching and research, and are now in the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology, University College London. Some were assigned according to the files directly to University College London: at the time of the distribution, there was still a formal distinction between the departmental collection and the Petrie collection - the two merged in 1913 to form the core holdings of the present Petrie Museum.
Note that the list may be incomplete; some finds may have been assigned but not sent. Substantial time and resources are still needed for the task of checking the archival records against the inventories of so many museums. Some of the collections may no longer exist, with transfers from one place to another.
Copyright © 2002 University College London. All rights reserved.