(Tell el Amarna, el-Till el-Amarna, Egyptian: Akhet-Aten)
(27°38' N 30°53'E)
The capital city of king Akhenaten
(about 1351-1334 BC), founded in his 6th year. The city was abandoned shortly
after the king died.
research and excavations at Amarna:
- 1714: the French Jesuit priest Claude Sicard describes a boundary stela.
- 1798-1799: the Napoleonic expedition visited the site of Amarna; they produce
a map of the city.
- 1824, 1826: Gardner Wilkinson (an English Egyptologist) visited the site
twice and identified it as the classical 'Alabastron' of Roman authors.
- 1843, 1845: the Prussian expedition under Karl Richard Lepsius visited the
site and recorded and published many scenes and inscriptions from the tombs
- 1887: a woman discovered nearly four hundred clay tablets inscribed in cuneiform
script - the Amarna Letters, international diplomatic correspondence from
the time of Akhenaten
- 1891-1892: Alessandro Barsanti of the Egyptian Antiquities Service cleared
the king's tomb at Amarna
- 1891-1892: Petrie excavated parts of the city
- 1892: Howard Carter visited the royal tomb and copied and published some
of the scenes
- 1903-1908: Norman de Garis Davies published the private tombs of Amarna
in six volumes (Davies 1903; Davies
1905a; Davies 1905b; Davies
1906; Davies 1908a; Davies
- 1907-1914: The Deutsche Orient-Gesellschaft (DOG - German Oriental Society)
excavated parts of the city. In 1912 they found the famous head of Nefertiti
(now in Berlin)
- 1921-1936: Excavations of the Egypt Exploration Society (EES) under the
direction of several scholars (Thomas Eric Peet, Leonard Woolley, Francis
Newton, Henri Frankfort, J.D.S. Pendlebury)
- since 1977: Excavations directed by Barry J. Kemp for the Egypt Exploration
Copyright © 2002 University College London. All rights