Published: May 5, 2015 9:45:00 AM
Science and Literature seminars: “True Words and Shams”: Poetry, Satire, and the Language of Science in Punch
This talk will consider the role of poetry in explaining, debating, and critiquing scientific theories and technological inventions in the Victorian periodical press. It will focus particularly on the use of poetry to satirise new scientific jargon, and scientific language more generally, in the pages of the comic periodical Punch. The talk will also consider how the satirical verse of Punch relates to the much wider use of poetry as a means of disseminating and discussing scientific concepts in the Victorian press. More...
Starts: May 12, 2015 5:30:00 PM
Taught or Research Pathway
Which Is Right For You?
Two different pathways (taught and research) are available for the following MAs, allowing you to tailor your MA programme to your academic and professional needs:
- Comparative Literature MA
- European Studies: European Society MA
- European Studies: Modern European Studies MA
- European Culture & Thought: Culture MA
- European Culture & Thought: Thought MA
- Choose from a wide range of taught modules
- Apply research skills and knowledge gained from the taught sessions to a 12,000 word dissertation based on your independent research
- Explore different aspects of the discipline in your coursework and to pursue your specific interest in the dissertation
- Combination of diverse taught topics and the dissertation provides great academic experience and a range of transferable skills to help you in your further career.
- A greater emphasis is placed on independent research, without losing the benefit of high-quality teaching and academic support
- Choose from a wide range of optional modules, but take fewer taught modules in order devote more time to the longer 18,000 word dissertation
- The experience of independent research you will gain on this pathway is especially valuable if you are thinking of pursuing further academic research after your MA.
- Both pathways culminate in the award of an MA degree
- CMII does not currently offer MRes degrees
- For a detailed breakdown of credit requirements and module options, please refer to the programme pages for your chosen MA.