*** NEW Venue *** University College London, UK More...
Published: Jul 15, 2014 1:24:16 PM
Humanity and Animality in 20th and 21st Century Culture: Narratives, Theories, Histories. An Interdisciplinary Conference
This interdisciplinary conference takes up an important debate in a field of growing importance in the humanities, where animal studies, post-humanism, and eco-criticism have surged in recent years.The definition of mankind seems necessarily to pass through an understanding of what constitutes the animal. Philosophically, what distinguishes, or indeed brings together humanity and animality has been the subject of debate from Aristotle’s understanding of man as ‘zôon logon echon’ and from Kant’s view of man’s treatment of animals as an insight into the true nature of humankind, Derrida’s seminars on ‘the beast and the sovereign’, up to Agamben’s recent theory of ‘bare life’ as the breakdown of the barrier between man and animal. More...
Starts: Sep 15, 2014 9:00:00 AM
CMII has established an Erasmus exchange programme with the University of Bayreuth for all of its students.
|The programme offers the opportunity for students studying in CMII to spend between 3 to 12 months at the University of Bayreuth, with a particular focus on their International Programme in Cultural Encounters.|
This includes interdisciplinary studies in Drama Studies, Languages and Literature, including African Studies and literature and Arabic Studies.
- For further details, please refer to the Research Profile provided by the University of Bayreuth.
The scheme is open to MPhil and PhD students in the first instance, though we will consider applications from MA and MSc students.
Applicants must have:
- a strong academic record
- a reference from their supervisor in support of their application
- a clear reason for choosing this exchange: you must be able to show in what ways the programme would be useful for your project
You do not need to have German as a working language in order to benefit from this exchange.
- If you think you would like to participate in the exchange programme you should discuss the possibility with Patrizia Oliver (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the first instance.
- Please indicate on your application when you would be interested in going to Bayreuth, and for how many months.