Centre for Space Medicine
Published: Apr 3, 2014 12:27:37 AM
CSM began work on collaborative projects at GCTC More...
Published: Feb 10, 2014 8:25:00 PM
CSM signs Agreement of Collaboration with Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Centre, Star City, Russia More...
Published: Nov 28, 2013 5:05:00 PM
Centre for Space Medicine
Welcome to the University College London (UCL) MSSL Centre for Space Medicine (CSM) web-site. The Centre brings together MSSL's technological and analytical capabilities, and general Space awareness with UCL's strengths in biomedicine.
Vision and Scope
The CSM focuses on both the facilitation of human space exploration and the improvement of quality of life on Earth through open innovation and cross-disciplinary application of techniques and technology. The Centre is inherently interdisciplinary in nature involving BioMedical, Cognitive, Robotics/Engineering, Information Technology and Space Sciences domains.
- Use Space as a laboratory to study, to expand our understanding of the human condition and to develop techniques and technologies to facilitate exploration missions and healthcare on Earth
- Develop sustainable cross-disciplinary education programmes in space life, medical and engineering sciences, with additional focus on applied technology through topics of human factors and human computer/robot interaction in healthcare, exploration and operation in extreme and isolated environments.
- Investigate and instigate biomedical open innovation projects through cross-disciplinary efforts between space, medical and engineering science research teams.
- Spin-out space techniques and technologies developed within UCL into the health sector and public sector to improve the quality of everyday life.
- Create on-going collaborative initiatives, of a public and school outreach.
- Establish new and strengthen existing industrial and academic partnerships with US, Europe, Russia and within the UK.
Vacancies and Opportunities at CSM
- Research Assistant in Psychology and Language Sciences on a European Space Agency funded iVOICE project
CSM Upcoming Events
Voice Measurement & Applications Workshop - UCL, London, UK, 16 May 2014
Free one-day, European Space Agency funded, workshop aimed to bring together experts in this multi-disciplinary field. Experts in speech science, speech signal processing, machine learning, clinical measurement of voice, and commercial applications will be represented in a day of talks and discussion. The goal of the workshop is to share state of the art techniques, to discuss the problems and challenges we face, and to build collaborations for future exploitation of voice measurement technology. For registration and more information please follow the link in the title above.
The workshop is being organised by:
- Dr. Mark Huckvale, Dept. Speech, Hearing and Phonetic Sciences, UCL
- Dr. Iya Whiteley, Centre for Space Medicine, UCL
Funds for the workshop are being provided by the European Space Agency, under a project "iVOICE – integrated voice analysis of satellite communications embedded in time and safety-critical environment".
Page last modified on 10 apr 14 12:14