MSSL-UCL Astrophysics Group
Welcome to the University College London (UCL) MSSL astrophysics group web-site. In synergy with MSSL's involvement in space science missions, members of the astrophysics group actively work on a wide range of astronomy and astrophysics. Please also visit our MSSL Astrophysics Blog.
Gaia in Space. MSSL has played a major part in Gaia - developing the instrument and software that will measure the speed, temperature, size and age of over a billion stars in our Galaxy. (Credit: ESA/ATG medialab; background image: ESO/S. Brunier)
ESA's Euclid mission. MSSL is leading efforts to design and build the VIS instrument. (Credit: ESA/C. Carreau)
Swift/UVOT Serendipitous Source Catalogue (UVOTSSC). Check out also The XMM-OM Serendipitous Ultra-Violet Source Survey (XMM-SUSS2.1)!
- Application for PhD position commencing in September 2017 is now open. See our PhD projects page.
- First Signs of Weird Quantum Property of Empty Space? (Publication in MNRAS, co-authors: Denis Gonzalez Caniulef, Roberto Turolla, Silvia Zane, Kinwah Wu, ESO Science release, UCL MAPS, Science, 30 November 2016)
- Tracing the Hercules stream with Gaia and LAMOST: new evidence for a fast bar in the Milky Way (Publication in MNRAS, co-authors: Daisuke Kawata, Jason Hunt, Gaia Image of the Week, 25 November 2016)
- Gaia sizes up 1.1 billion stars (UCL News, 14 September 2016)
- Young Magnetar Likely the Slowest Pulsar Ever Detected (Publication in MNRAS, co-author: Silvia Zane, NASA Press Release, 8 September 2016)
- Einstein's general relativity passes another stringent test (Publication in ApJ, Lead-author: Ignacio Ferreras, UCL MAPS, 11 July, 2016)
- The greatest movie ever made, directed by astronomers, starring Our Universe (Jason McEwen, MSSL News, 19 May 2016)
- High-throughput X-ray Astronomy in the eXTP era, Rome, 6-8 February 2017, SOC: Silvia Zane
- Biomedical and Astronomical Signal Processing (BASP) Frontiers Workshop 2017 (Villars-sur-Ollon, Switzerland, 29 January - 3 February 2017, Area Chair: Jason McEwen)
- The universal problem of the non-universal IMF (Lorentz Center, Netherland, 5-9 December 2016, SOC: Ignacio Ferreras)
- New Results in X-ray Astronomy 2016 (MSSL, 28 September 2016, SOC,LOC: Myrto Symeonidis (Chair), Megan Whewell, Ellis Owen)