MSSL-UCL Astrophysics Group
Welcome to the University College London (UCL) MSSL astrophysics group web-site. In synergy with MSSL's involvement in space science missions, members of the astrophysics group actively work on a wide range of astronomy and astrophysics. Please also visit our MSSL Astrophysics Blog.
Magnetar near supermassive black hole delivers surprise (Publication in MNRAS, Co-autor: Silvia Zane, Credit:NASA/Chandra X-Ray Observatory)
Dark matter 'ghosts' through galactic smash-ups (Publication in Science, Co-author: Tom Kitching, Credit: NASA, ESA, D. Harvey, R. Massey, H. Ebeling, J.-P. Kneip)
Swift/UVOT Serendipitous Source Catalogue (UVOTSSC). Check out also The XMM-OM Serendipitous Ultra-Violet Source Survey (XMM-SUSS2.1)!
Gaia in Space. MSSL has played a major part in Gaia - developing the instrument and software that will measure the speed, temperature, size and age of over a billion stars in our Galaxy. (Credit: ESA/ATG medialab; background image: ESO/S. Brunier)
ESA's Euclid mission. MSSL is leading efforts to design and build the VIS instrument. (Credit: ESA/C. Carreau)
- Indian multi-wavelength space observatory, Astrosat, successful launch. MSSL provided parts for UVIT, the UV instrument on board, in particular the high voltage power supplies, based on XMM-OM and Swift-UVOT heritage, through a Canadian collaboration. (28 September 2015)
- MSSL involved in new NASA proposal (Team member: Kinwah Wu, Silvia Zane, MSSL News, NASA Press Release, 5 Aug 2015)
- ESA shortlists three space missions with major UCL contributions (UCL MAPS, 17 June 2015)
- An improved version of The XMM-OM Serendipitous Ultra-violet Source Survey (XMM-SUSS2.1) is now available. (19 May 2015)
- Magnetar near supermassive black hole delivers surprises (Publication in MNRAS, Co-author: Silvia Zane, Press Release: NASA, UCL MAPS, 14 May 2015)
- Dark matter 'ghosts' through galactic smash-ups (Publication in Science, Co-author: Tom Kitching, BBC News)
- Congratulations to Jason Hunt on his winning Bronze prize at SET for Britain poster competition in the House of Commons on 9th March 2015 (UCL MAPS news)
- Euclid: UK Meeting (Edinburgh, 17,18 December 2015, SOC: Mark Cropper, Tom Kitching)
- UK Dark Energy Strategy 2020 (Barlington House, 28, 29 January 2016, Organisers: Tom Kitching, Mark Cropper)