MSSL-UCL Astrophysics Group
Welcome to the University College London (UCL) MSSL astrophysics group web-site. In synergy with MSSL's involvement in space science missions, members of the astrophysics group actively work on a wide range of astronomy and astrophysics. Please also visit our MSSL Astrophysics Blog.
Gaia in Space (Credit: ESA/ATG medialab; background image: ESO/S. Brunier)
Magnetic star reveals its hidden power (published in Nature, co-author: Silvia Zane, Image Credit: ESA)
Herschel shows galaxies had cool beginnings (Herschel Press Release, Lead-author Myrto Symeonidis, Credit: ESA/Herschel/SPIRE/HerMES)
Cosmic Rays come from Supernova Remnants. (Publication in Science. Co-author: Roberto Mignani, Credit: NASA/DOE/Fermi LAT and ESA/Herschel)
ESA's Euclid mission. MSSL is leading efforts to design and build the VIS instrument. (Credit: ESA/C. Carreau)
- ESA's Billion Star Surveyor: UCL's contribution (17 December 2013, Press Release UCL)
- "The hot and energetic Universe" science theme, Athena, selected for the second Large-class ESA mission! (28 November 2013, Press release ESA, White Paper, Working Group: Graziella Branduardi-Raymont, Matthew Page, Silvia Zane, )
- Magnetic star reveals its hidden power (15 August 2013, published in Nature, Press release UCL, ESA, co-author: Silvia Zane)
- Congratulations to David Barnes on his winning the UKSP student poster competition at NAM2013! This is another landmark of high quality research by our students after the runner-up prizes at NAM2013 went to Awat Rahimi and Robert Grand.
- Herschel shows galaxies had cool beginnings (1 May 2013, Herschel press release, lead-author: Myrto Symeonidis)
- Dying Supergiant Stars Impricated in Hours-long Gamma-Ray Burst (16 April 2013, NASA Swift Press Release, Collaborators: Massimiliano De Pasquale, Samantha Oates)
- Cosmic Rays Come from Exploding Stars (14 Feb 2013, SLAC Press Release, NASA Press Release, publication in Science, Co-author: Roberto Mignani)
- LOFT movie!
- Physics of Neutron Stars - 2014 (St. Petersburg, Russia, 28 July - 1 August 2014, SOC: Silvia Zane)
- NAM2014 (Portsmouth, 23-26 June 2014, SOC: Silvia Zane)
- ICDM Astroinformatics Workshop 2013 (Dallas, USA, 7 December, 2013, SOC: Tom Kitching, Jason McEwen)
- The UK-Japan 150 year anniversary, Science, Technology and Innovation symposium - Astronomy and Space Science - (The embassy of Japan in London, 6 December, 2013, SOC-chair: Daisuke Kawata)
- International Advanced School: "Galactic Dynamics in the Times of Gaia and other Great Surveys" (Mexico City, 3-12 November, 2013, SOC: Daisuke Kawata)
- Synergistic science with Euclid and the SKA (Oxford, 16-17 September, SOC: Mark Cropper, Tom Kitching)
- Gaia Challenge 2013 (Guildford, UK, 19-23 August 2013, SOC: Daisuke Kawata)
- A Fresh Look at the Stellar IMF (EWASS2013, Turku, Finland, 12 July 2013, SOC: Ignacio Ferreras)
- MSSL Astrophysics group seminars