MSSL-UCL Astrophysics Group
Welcome to the University College London (UCL) MSSL astrophysics group web-site. In synergy with MSSL's involvement in space science missions, members of the astrophysics group actively work on a wide range of astronomy and astrophysics. Please also visit our MSSL Astrophysics Blog.
Application for PhD positions commencing in September 2016 is now open. Please see our PhD Opportunities page.
Magnetar near supermassive black hole delivers surprise (Publication in MNRAS, Co-autor: Silvia Zane, Credit:NASA/Chandra X-Ray Observatory)
Dark matter 'ghosts' through galactic smash-ups (Publication in Science, Co-author: Tom Kitching, Credit: NASA, ESA, D. Harvey, R. Massey, H. Ebeling, J.-P. Kneip)
Swift/UVOT Serendipitous Source Catalogue (UVOTSSC). Check out also The XMM-OM Serendipitous Ultra-Violet Source Survey (XMM-SUSS2.1)!
Gaia in Space. MSSL has played a major part in Gaia - developing the instrument and software that will measure the speed, temperature, size and age of over a billion stars in our Galaxy. (Credit: ESA/ATG medialab; background image: ESO/S. Brunier)
ESA's Euclid mission. MSSL is leading efforts to design and build the VIS instrument. (Credit: ESA/C. Carreau)
- Indian multi-wavelength space observatory, Astrosat, successful launch. MSSL provided parts for UVIT, the UV instrument on board, in particular the high voltage power supplies, based on XMM-OM and Swift-UVOT heritage, through a Canadian collaboration. (28 September 2015)
- MSSL involved in new NASA proposal (Team member: Kinwah Wu, Silvia Zane, MSSL News, NASA Press Release, 5 Aug 2015)
- ESA shortlists three space missions with major UCL contributions (UCL MAPS, 17 June 2015)
- An improved version of The XMM-OM Serendipitous Ultra-violet Source Survey (XMM-SUSS2.1) is now available. (19 May 2015)
- Magnetar near supermassive black hole delivers surprises (Publication in MNRAS, Co-author: Silvia Zane, Press Release: NASA, UCL MAPS, 14 May 2015)
- Dark matter 'ghosts' through galactic smash-ups (Publication in Science, Co-author: Tom Kitching, BBC News)
- Congratulations to Jason Hunt on his winning Bronze prize at SET for Britain poster competition in the House of Commons on 9th March 2015 (UCL MAPS news)
- Euclid: UK Meeting (Edinburgh, 17,18 December 2015, SOC: Mark Cropper, Tom Kitching)
- UK Dark Energy Strategy 2020 (Barlington House, 28, 29 January 2016, Organisers: Tom Kitching, Mark Cropper)