- MSc Technology Entrepreneurship Programme Approved for Robert Malpas Bursary
- UCL Management Science and Innovation PhD student Sebastiano Massaro has won the 2011 Academy of Management Organizational Behavior Division's Most Innovative Student Paper Award.
- MS&I Staff and students shine at UCL Awards for Enterprise
- BSc Information Management for Business ranked fifth in UK
- IMB Student was Awarded the e-skills Internship 'Intern of the Year 2011' at the Annual Event at IBM
- UCL Enterprise Society Team wins Enterprise Challenge
- BSc Information Management for Business and UK IT skills shortage
- Technology Entrepreneurship Students win £100k Technology Strategy Board Grant with their start-up
- Web-based Start-Up Showcase Project Launched
- Student entrepreneurs set to share idea with China’s billion-plus consumers
- MSI Envites you to a Research Seminar on: The Dangers of Deep Knowledge: New Ventures in the U.S. Solar Industry on 12 October 2011 from 15.30-16.45
- MSc Management students win HELO Awards!
- Former MSc Technology Entrepreneurship student receives $2.5 million funding
- The Future of the Internet: Cisco's Vision of technological change and how it plans to respond
- Entrepreneurial electives at London Business School
- MS&I joins the Association of Business Schools
- Eeve app for iPhone launched by former MSc Technology Entrepreneurship students
- UCL alumnus breathes fire in Malaysia’s ‘Dragon’s Den’
- Have Your Say! The 2012 National Student Survey seeks the views of final year undergraduates...
- UCL Student Business Receives International Recognition
- Fulbright-UCL Award for MSc Technology Entrepreneurship Announced
- MSc Technology Entrepreneurship student leads Silicon Valley trip
- MSc Technology Entrepreneurship student heads up Enterprise
- MSI Invites you to a Research Seminar on: The role of cost modeling in competitive bid procurement
- MSc Technology Entrepreneurship students shortlisted for Seedcamp London 2012
- MSc Technology Entrepreneurship students win prizes in Chile
- MSI Teaching Fellow on BBC News site
- MSc Entrepreneurship graduate wins China-UK Entrepreneurship Challenge
- New innovation centre in Tech City will benefit MSc Technology Entrepreneurship students
- Speak up! The 2013 National Student Survey seeks your views this term
- MRes/PhD Management Science & Innovation Studentships Available
- Open House and Reception: UCL Management Science & Innovation MRes/PhD Programme
- MSc Technology Entrepreneurship students mentioned in The Guardian
- MSI Teaching Fellow interviewed on Radio 4
- Research by Dr Mihaela Stan featured in the Financial Times
- Graduates describe how the Information Management for Business degree has helped their career development
- Goldman Sachs Small Businesses Programme delivered by MSI
- Former MSc TE student co-founder of one of Top London startups to watch
- MSI student start ups prize winners at the UCL Enterprise Awards
MSc Entrepreneurship graduate wins China-UK Entrepreneurship Challenge
7 December 2012
A graduate of UCL’s Technology Entrepreneurship postgraduate degree has won the final of the China-UK Entrepreneurship Challenge.
Piatkowski, 24, graduated from the Masters programme this year – during
which he developed his idea for Jive Bike, a revolutionary folding
electric bike with a battery life sufficient to propel the rider over 33
Beating off competition from five other teams – two other
British teams, from the LSE and King’s College London, and three from
mainland China – Marcin impressed the judges with his pitch about his
business to win a cash prize and the opportunity to visit the country to
develop his idea.
The winner is the latest in a line of several competitions for Marcin, since being awarded a UCL Bright Ideas Award at the university’s Awards for Enterprise earlier this year, also winning last year’s London Entrepreneurship Challenge and recently appearing at Start UP Hub 2012 at the Conservative Party conference this Autumn.
The Competition, which aims to encourage new business
ventures between China and the UK, is for both student entrepreneurs as
well as existing businesses looking at either utilising Chinese
expertise or sending a product to the Chinese market. The competition is
sponsored by UCL, the University of York, Lancaster University Management School and the China Innovation and Development Organisation.
“The standard of the teams was the strongest we’ve seen in
the competition yet,” said UCL Advances Deputy Director Gups Jagpal, one
of the panel of six judges. “With standards so high, Marcin was up
against exceptionally tough competition – which made it even more
satisfying to see a graduate of UCL take home first prize.”
Other members of the panel included Jack Lang, Chair of the Rasberry Pi Foundation, Madeline Sturrock of PanCathay.com, Professor David Brown from Lancaster Business School, Dr Frank Wang, Co-founder and Managing Director of CamLase and Sunny Crouch, one of the governing body of the University of East London, which hosted the final.
“Winning the competition could not have come at a better time,” says Marcin, the founder of Jive Bike. “We are just about to launch a project to win funding through Crowdcube to begin production of our product and it was great to have another vote of confidence in its strength.”