Marie Curie Palliative Care Research Unit, London
The Marie Curie Palliative Care Research Unit, London (MCPCRU) was established in 1999. It is now based in the Department of Mental Health Sciences (The Bloomsbury Campus) where it has expanded rapidly. Its main research themes include evaluation of interventions and effectiveness in palliative care, end-of-life care planning, continuity of care, sexuality, spirituality, assessment of psychological needs, patient and carer palliative assessments in advanced dementia, end-stage renal disease, palliative care in other advanced non-cancer conditions, and systematic reviews.
The overall objective of the Marie Curie Palliative Care Research initiative is to foster high quality research which will lead to improvements in care for those affected by cancer and other life threatening illnesses through the implementation of evidence based practice. The strategic development will provide leadership to create an active research culture throughout the charity (Marie Curie Cancer Care), achieve a cohesive research programme and ensure that there is effective dissemination and utilisation of new knowledge both within the charity and beyond. The unit has established effective collaborations locally, nationally and internationally.
The strategic objectives for Palliative Care Research are to:
- Develop an infrastructure to foster evidence based practice across the charity.
- Encourage an active research culture.
- Support and develop research throughout all clinical areas of the charity.
- Foster and enhance interdisciplinary collaborations locally, nationally and internationally.
- Ensure that there are mechanisms for dissemination and utilisation of new knowledge to enhance evidence based care.
Main Research Themes
- Defining and meeting clinical needs.
- Development and testing of complex healthcare interventions.
- End of life care in dementia.
Marie Curie Palliative Care Research Unit (MCPCRU)
UCL Mental Health Sciences Unit
Charles Bell House
67-73 Riding House Street
London W1W 7EJ
Page last modified on 30 apr 13 12:56