- Dr Lora Koycheva
Mailing & Discussion List
Contact the UCL Mellon Programme
Andrew W Mellon Foundation
Dr Federica Mazzara
Translations/Transpositions - migration and non-mother-tongue writing | September 2007 - August 2009 |
>>> email >>> blog >>> Facebook >>> Dr Mazzara's current home page
|As a UCL Mellon Fellow Federica’s research topic of Migration and non-mother-tongue writing had a particular focus on issues of translation related to the Italophone immigrant writing that has emerged in recent decades.
Federica was born and educated in Italy. In 2000-01 she successfully studied for an MA in Translation Studies and Comparative Literature at the University of Essex. She returned to Italy to commence studies for her PhD in Literature at the University of Naples. and combined her doctoral research with work as a research assistant at the University of Palermo. She was awarded her PhD in 2007.
- 2007: PhD in Literature, University of Naples. Thesis: Intermedialità ed Ekphrasis nel Prerffaellitismo: Il caso Rossetti (Intermediality and Ekphrasis in Preraphaellitism: The case of Rossetti) [ abstract ] [ extract ]
- 2001: MA in Translation Studies and Comparative Literature, University of Essex
- 1999: BA in Foreign Languages and Literatures, University of Palermo
- 2000: studentship from the University of Catania to study at the University of Essex
- Multiculturalism in literature and cinema
- Italophone writing
- Translation Studies
- Visual Culture and Cultural Studies
- Interartistic translation
- Relationship between literature and other media
Articles and Scholarly Reviews
- ’’Rossetti’s Letters: Intimate Desires and Sister Arts’. Interface 28
(2008), pp. 115-124.
- Review of Europe (In Theory) by Roberto M. Dainotto. La Torre del Virrey. Revista de Estudios Culturales 5 (2008)
- Moving Borders. A Blog on Migration’. Sophia 1 (June 2008), pp. 25-26.
- 'Persephone, her Mythical Return to Sicily'. Arco Journal (2003), more ...
- 'Studi sulla Traduzione'. Dizionario on-line degli Studi Culturali (2002), more ...
- 'Reading and Translating: The Circulation of Social Energy'. Norwich Papers, (special edition 'Translation and Multiculturalism') 9 (2001) 24-37
- 'Viaggio in Sicilia', Nuove Effemeridi. 52:IV (2000) 99-143. A translation of Richard Payne Knight's Expedition into Sicily (1777) with a new editorial introduction.
Book in preparation
- La scrittura delle immagini. La produzione artistico-letteraria di Dante Gabriel Rossetti.
- Dizionario degli Studi Culturali Cometa. M (ed) (with Roberta Coglitore and Federica Mazzara) Roma: Meltemi, 2004.
Chapters in books and Translations
- ‘Piazza Vittorio. An Example of Cultural Transformation’ (forthcoming)
- Iconologie (with V. Cammarata and A. Carbone) (Translation into Italian of a selection of essays on Visual Culture by W. J. T. Mitchell). Palermo: Duepunti Edizioni (forthcoming).
- Martin Jay's ‘Parresia visuale? Foucault e la verità dello sguardo’ (a translation of M. Jay’s ‘ Visual Parrhesia? Foucault and the Truth of the Gaze’) and Stuart Elden's ‘Sorveglianza, sicurezza, spazio’ (a translation of S. Elden’s Surveillance, Security, Space) in Cometa, M. and Vaccaro, S. (eds.) Lo sguardo di Foucault Roma: Meltemi, 2007
- 'Un dipinto e i suoi sonetti. Proserpine di Dante Gabriel Rossetti', in
Coglitore, R. (ed.), Lo sguardo reciproco. Letteratura e immagini tra
Settecento e Novecento, Pisa: ETS, 2007 pp. 141-74.
- 'La traducción como estudio cultural' in Cometa, M., Lastra, A., Villar Hernández, P. (eds), Una Cultura Común: Introducción a los Estudios Culturale Madrid: Verbum, 2007
- 'The Lady of Shallot allo Specchio' in Bellocchio, L. (ed.) (2006), Finestre (Series: Atti della Scuola Europea di Studi Comparati, Quaderni di Synapsis V) Firenze: Le Monnier 322-30
- 'La danza nel Novecento: un’esperienza di contaminazione dionisiaca' in
Zanotti, P. (ed.) (2005), Contaminazioni (Series: Atti della Scuola
Europea di Studi Comparati, Quaderni di Synapsis IV) Firenze: Le Monnier
218-28; and in Textos/Pretextos 11 (Coreo-grafias: Literatura e
Danca)(Autumn/Winter 2008), pp. 34-45
- 'Studi sulla Traduzione' in Cometa, M. (ed.) (with Roberta Coglitore and Federica Mazzara) (2005) Dizionario degli Studi Culturali Roma: Meltemi 478-87
- Il Tempio che non c’è. Il Giove Olimpico di Agrigento CD-rom (2007) eds Cometa, M. (with Cammarata, V., Coglitore, R. and Mazzara, F.) Universitá degli Studi di Palermo – Dipartimento di Arti e Comunicazioni – Regione Siciliana Assessorato Regionale ai Beni Culturali Ambientali e Pubblica Istruzione.
- Translation into Italian of the following essays contained in the CD:
- Cockerell , C. R. (1903) Travels in Southern Europe and the Levant, 1810-1817. The Journal of C. R. Cockerell London: Longman 207-9
- Cockerell, C. R. (1830) The Temple of Jupiter Olympius at Agrigentum, commonly called the Temple of the Giants , London: Priestley and Weale
- Wilkins, W. (1807) The Antiquities of Magna Grecia London: Longmanns Hurst Orme and Rees 30-5.
- Proof-editing of website content: <www.culturalstudies.it> (2004-07)
Newspaper and Magazine Articles
- see under Public Engagement, below
Papers and presentations
- Writing the Mediterranean: Amara Lakhous and the
translation of cultures. Workshop: Migrating Itlay - Media and Narrative Representations of Immigration in Contemporary Italy. Said Business School, Oxford University. 27 February 2009
- Lecture: Writing the Mediterranean. Amara Lakhous and the Translation of Cultures. Department of Italian, University of Warwick, 14 January 2009
- Sicilians as Others: Cinematic and Literary Representations of Migration. Conference of The American Association o Italian Studies: Alla scoperta della Sicilia. Discovering Sicily (Panel: Migration, Reception and Return. Sicily between Provincialism and Globalization (Giardini Naxos (ME), 22-24 May 2008.
- Piazza Vittorio. An Example of Cultural Transformation. Conference: Transmissions and Transformations of Modern Italian Culture (Panel: Transformations of Contemporary Italian Culture: Politics, Media and Migration). London, 25-26 April 2008.
- Rossetti’s Letters: Intimate Desires and ‘Sister Arts’. Conference: Intimacy: Representations in Literature and the Visual Arts. (Panel: International Word & Image). Paris, 28-30 June 2007
- La scrittura delle immagini. Dante Gabriel Rossetti e l’ékphrasis. Department of Arts and Communication, University of Palermo, 13 January 2006
- La traduzione come studio culturale. Seminario internazionale. Conference: Estudios culturales/Cultural Studies – El porvenir de las humanidades. Universidad Internacional Menéndez Pelayo de Valencia, 17-21 October 2005
- Intermedialità ed Ékphrasis nel Preraffaellitismo: Il caso Rossetti. Giornate di Studi per Dottorato in Linguistica e Letterature dell’Università degli Studi Suor Orsola Benincasa, SESA (Scuola Europea di Studi Avanzati), Napoli 15-16 October 2004
- Rossetti’s Proserpine: A Double Work of Art . Conference: Critical and Cultural Trajectories. Department of Literature, University of Essex, Colchester, 30 June-3 July 2004
- UCL Mellon Seminars and Italian Film Club, UCL, London September 2008-09 (more ...).
- Presentation of the Algerian writer Amara Lakhous at
the Festival of Mediterranean Literatures, in Lucera (Italy), 13 September 2008
- A Weekend with Mieke Bal, UCL, London, 20-21 September 2008. (More ...)
- interview with the Somalian writer Cristina Ali-Farah (more ...),
within the conference Into Italy Out of Italy, Institute of Italian Culture, London, 14-15 November 2008. (More ...)
- UCL Mellon Seminars and Italian Film Club, UCL, London September 2007-08 (more ...)
Newspaper and magazine articles
- Mitchell, W. J. T. 'Una foto non imita il mondo, lo rivela. Il caso di Abu Ghraib' (a translation of a shorter version of W.J. T. Mitchell’s ‘Realism and Digital Image’) Liberazione (28 September 2006)
- Jay, M 'Lo Sguardo di Foucault tra ciò che l’occhio vede e la verità della pittura' (a translation of a shorter version of M. Jay’s ‘‘ Visual Parrhesia? Foucault and the Truth of the Gaze’ ’) Il Manifesto (25 May 2005)
- Italian translation: undergraduate final year
- ‘Italian Migrant literature’: undergraduate final year
- Occasional Seminars and Lectures for the MA in Translation Studies, MA in Comparative Literature, MA in Contemporary Italian History and Culture and for the BA in Language and Culture.
For the most up-to-date information about Dr Mazzara's work, please visit her current webpage > > > click here
This page last modified
26 September, 2012
by [UCL Mellon