- Dr Lora Koycheva
Mailing & Discussion List
Contact the UCL Mellon Programme
Andrew W Mellon Foundation
Dr Antony Hudek
Translations/Transpositions - Translation as Dissemination: museums, objects, audiences | October 2010 - September 2012 | and then to a joint appointment at John Moores University, Liveropool and Tate Liverpool
|As a UCL Mellon Fellow, Hudek focussed on histories of display as educational devices. The primary resources for his research were objects belonging to UCL Museums & Collections, in particular lesser-known collections such as the Great Ormond Street Hospital collection of specimens and records. By considering the spaces and audiences with which such objects interact over time, this project sought to better understand how systems of display can be deployed to translate knowledge, power and affect.
Hudek was born in Geneva. After studying visual art, he turned to art history as an undergraduate. Since completing his PhD, Hudek has been Researcher at Jan van Eyck Academie, Maastricht (working on the exhibition 'Les Immatériaux') and AHRC-funded Research Fellow at Camberwell College of Arts (working on the John Latham Archive). As an integral part of his practice, Hudek curates exhibitions and translates art theory from French to English.
In 2008 he co-founded, with Sara De Bondt (more ...), the non-profit publishing house Occasional Papers, presenting affordable books devoted to the histories of architecture, art, design, film and literature. More ...
- 2006: PhD in Art History Invisible Painting: mimetic pictorialism in post-modern New York, Courtauld Institute of Art, London
- 2001: MA in Art History, Museum Tremens or the mausoleum without walls : working through les immatériaux at the centre pompidou in 1985, Courtauld Institute of Art, London
- 1999: BA in Art History, Dartmouth College, Hanover NH (USA)
Scholarships and Awards
- 2006-2008: Ikea-Stiftung (Schweiz), Jan van Eyck Academie, Maastricht
- 2001-2005: ORS, Courtauld Institute of Art, London
- 2000-2001: Stavros S. Niarchos Foundation, Courtauld Institute of Art, London
- Histories and theories of art
- Histories of exhibitions
- Exhibition curation
- The Portable John Latham (London: Occasional Papers, 2010), co-editor with Athanasios Velios
- The Break-up of New British Sculpture, Series: Essays on Sculpture, 45, (Leeds: Henry Moore Institute, 2005) ISBN: 1900081547 | ISBN: 9781900081542
Publications: books: chapters in
- 'Interview with Conrad Atkinson' in Conrad Atkinson, Conrad Atkinson Landescapes, (Claverack, N.Y. : John Isaacs Books, 2006) ISBN: 0977297101
- 'interview with Conrad Atkinson' in Eric Fernie Excavated Mutilations: new work by Conrad Atkinson (London : Courtauld Institute Gallery, 2002)
Publications: articles (selection)
- With Mary Lydon, 'Discourse, Figure' by Jean-François Lyotard, (University of Minnesota Press, 2011)
- 'Le Corbusier as Book Designer: Semi-Modernity à la française' by Catherine de Smet, in The Form of the Book Book, Occasional Papers, 2010
Publications: reviews (recent): exhibitions
- Frog (Fall 2010), review of 'End' by Gregor Schneider, Museum Abteiberg, Mönchengladbach
- Frieze (May 2010), review of 'The Razzle Dazzle of Thinking' by Sturtevant, Musée d'art moderne, Paris
Presentations and public engagement: papers (selection)
- 'The Affective Economy of the Lyotardian Archive' (panel 'Lyotard and Writing'), conference, Rewriting Lyotard, University of Alberta, Edmonton, 11-13
- 'The John Latham Archive', JISC Digital Performance Seminar,
Bristol, 24 September 2009
- with Antonia Wunderlich,' Les Immatériaux', re:place 2007, Berlin,
15-18 November 2007
- paper on Jean-François Lyotard, 'Following Derrida', Winnipeg, 5 October 2006
Presentations and public engagement: events (selection)
- Re: Towards 'Minor' Histories of Exhibitions and Performances. S eptember 5-6 2012,
UCL and Raven Row. More ...
- The Museum as Film Set, UCL, October-November 2011
- Voice in (and around) the Museum (with Sarah Byrne), UCL, 4-25 May 2011
- in collaboration with Occasional Papers, A conversation between Stephen Willats and Stuart Comer, Raven Row exhibition centre, London, 1 December 2010, to mark the re-issue by Occasional Papers of Stephen Willats' essay 'The Artist as an Instigator of Changes in Social Cognition and Behaviour', first published in 1973 by Gallery House Press.
- in collaboration with Occasional Papers, A conversation between
Stephen Willats and Hans Ulrich Obrist, Courtauld Institute of Art,
London, 15 February 2011, to mark the re-issue
by Occasional Papers of Stephen Willats' essay 'The Artist as an
Instigator of Changes in Social Cognition and Behaviour', first published
in 1973 by Gallery House Press.
- with Marysia Lewandowska, workshop 'The Master's Voice', Muzeum Sztuki,
Lodz, 23 April 2009
- with Marko Daniel, Koen Brams and Mark Nash, 'Landmark Exhibitions', Tate
Modern, London, 10-11 October, 2008
- 'Listening to the Archive I: mémoires de sourd', Jan van Eyck Academie,
Maastricht, 30 March 2007
- 'Found and Lost: the object in contemporary British art', Oxford
University, Dept. for Continuing Education, 16 May, 2004
Presentations and public engagement: curatorial (selection)
- with Fabien Pinaroli, After Michelangelo (Lunchtime Pop-Up Display), London, UCL Art Museum, 31 January 2012. (More ...)
- with John Murphy, Voyages to Italy, 20 January 2012-30 March 2012,, AC Levantis Gallery, UCL Institute of Archaeology, London. (More ...)
- with Paul Bates and Jayne Dunn, The Body in Pieces: fragments from the UCL Great Ormond Street Hos[ital Collection, London, UCL , 13 October 2011-17 December 2011. [catalogue] [video: Preserving the pieces of medical history]
- with Elisa Kay, exhibition on John Latham's Skoob Towers,
castillo/corrales, Paris, 5 June-12 July, 2010, more ..., and Flat Time House,
London, 25 September-24 October 2010, more ...
- with Athanasios Velios and Nayia Yiakoumaki, 'John Latham: Anarchive',
Whitechapel Art Gallery, London, 2 April-5 September 2010, more ...
- 'The Incidental Person', apexart, New York, 6 January-20 February 2010, more ...
- with Sara De Bondt, 'Barterama', Barbican Centre, London, 26 July 2009, more ...
- with Ella Klaschka, 'Talking Cures: the discursive as heuristic medium',
Museum of Contemporary Art/Hedah, Maastricht, 16 December 2006-4 March
2007, more ...
- 2010, contributing to the MA Curating course (dir. Isobel Whitelegg), Camberwell School of Art, London, specifically focussing on 'exhibiting the archive'.
2011, contributing to MA Global Conceptualism course (dir: Sarah Wilson, Boris Groys), Courtauld Institute, London, specifically focussing on the Paris-based American artist
This page last modified
26 September, 2012
by [UCL Mellon