Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering

MedPhys Wellbeing

Eight out of ten students (78%) say they experienced mental health issues whilst studying, according to a survey by the National Union of Students (NUS). The same survey showed that 54% don't seek help. 

What help is available?

Help and support is available to you no matter what the circumstances. Some examples include:

  • An informal chat, if you're looking for someone to talk to
  • Discussing your options if you are concerned that your studies may be affected
  • Help with filling out Extenuating Circumstances forms, or applying for an interruption of study
  • Confidential listening services
  • Providing information about possible coping techniques to help
  • Offering impartial advice and guidance
  • Professional Counselling and Support

Please see below for further details about the specific support routes.

Departmental Level

Personal Tutors

Your personal tutor is always available to listen and recommend steps if you're struggling or need someone to talk to. Your tutor's contact details can be found on our People pages.

Support Staff

Within the department of Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, we have support staff who are trained in Mental Health First Aid. If at any point you would like to have a confidential and informal conversation with someone, please get in touch. Click here to find contact details for our trained staff.

UCL Wide

UCL Student Support and Wellbeing Services (SSW) provides information, advice and welfare support for all registered students, including delivery of related student events.

The department includes the following areas:

SSW is also the contact and coordination point for the chaplains appointed to UCL.

For further details about specific staff roles and responsibilities within the department, please see the staff listings.

UCL Student Disability Services offer dedicated Mental Health support. They offer drop in sessions Mondays & Wednesdays, 2 - 4 PM at Level 4, UCL Institute of Education, where you can meet with a Disability Adviser to get advice on how to access local psychological and psychiatric services.


Local GP

A minor problem could develop into something more serious if ignored, and recurrent problems (like feeling anxious) can impact on your quality of life and lead to other problems. Seeing a GP regularly can help you to learn more about the support available to you, and helps your GP to better understand your needs.

Other support options
  • Samaritans (116 123) is available 24 hours a day to provide confidential emotional support for people who are experiencing feelings of distress, despair or suicidal thoughts.
  • Nightline (020 7631 0101) is a student run service available in term-time between 6pm and 8am. 
  • Student Minds is the UK's student mental health charity.
  • You can go to Ridgmount Practice, 8 Ridgmount Street, London WC1E 7AA, Tel: 0207 387 6306, where they can usually give you an appointment at extremely short notice at their walk in service on Monday to Fridays – 9.30 –10.30am and 2.30 –3.30pm. This service is confidential.

You can always phone 999 in an emergency or make your way to any Accident and Emergency Department at your local hospital or the A+E at University College Hospital.