Dr Anastasios Konstantinidis
|I am from Kavala, Greece, but I'm currently living in London (since November 2007). I'm working as a post doctoral research associate on x-ray medical imaging in the Radiation Physics group, Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering at University College London (UCL). The aim of my project is to build an Intelligent Imaging system for breast cancer diagnosis using x-ray diffraction. In other words, I'll use mammographic images to perform x-ray diffraction measurements at suspicious areas inside the breast.|
1) Bachelor of Science (2000-2005)
- Technological Education Institute (TEI) of Athens, Greece, Department of Medical Instrumentation Technology (TIO), degree mark: 7.13/10.
- Title of Bachelor Thesis: "Practical research of emission characteristics and theoretical evaluation of Signal to Noise Ratio of absorbed radiation in single crystal scintillators and scintillators of powder form in applications of Medical Imaging". Supervisor: Professor Ioannis Kandarakis.
2) Master of Science (2005-2007)
- University of Patras, Greece, Department of Medical Physics, International interdepartmental postgraduate program in Medical Physics, degree grade: Excellent (8.7/10).
- Title of MSc dissertation: "Investigation of scintillators with two K-absorption edges using Monte Carlo techniques". Supervisors: Professor George Panayiotakis and Professor Ioannis Kandarakis. My MSc dissertation is available online here (in English, PDF format, ~ 1MB).
3) Doctor of Philosophy (2007-2011)
- University College London (UCL), Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, Radiation Physics group. Outcome of the PhD Viva Examination: Pass with minor corrections. Date of Award: 28/8/2011.
- Title of PhD thesis: "Evaluation of digital X-ray detectors for medical imaging applications". Supervisors: Professor Robert Speller and Dr Alessandro Olivo . My PhD thesis is available online here (in English, PDF format, ~ 5MB).
- Scholar of the Greek State Scholarships Foundation (IKY) for the Academic Years2007-2011 (until March) to carry out my PhD studies at University College London.
- X-ray performance evaluation of digital X-ray detectors, through the calculation of the Modulation Transfer Function (MTF), Noise Power Spectrum (NPS) and Detective Quantum Efficiency (DQE) parameters, using custom-built software written in MATLAB.
- Performance simulation of digital X-ray detectors, based on their MTF, NPS and Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) response, using custom-built software written in MATLAB.
- X-ray diffraction measurements for breast cancer diagnosis.
Publications in International Scientific Journals
- G. Patatoukas, A. Gaitanis, N. Kalivas, P. Liaparinos, A. Konstantinidis, I. Kandarakis, D. Cavouras and G. Panayiotakis, “The effect of energy weighting on the SNR under the influence of non ideal detectors in mammographic applications”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, Volume 569, December 2006, Pages 260-263.
- Ι. Valais, I. Kandarakis, D. Nikolopoulos, A. Konstantinidis, I. Sianoudis, D. Cavouras, N. Dimitropoulos, C. Nomicos and G. Panayiotakis, “Evaluation of light emission efficiency of LYSO:Ce scintillator under x-ray excitation for possible applications in medical imaging”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, Volume 569, December 2006, Pages 201-204.
- N. Kalivas, I. Valais, G. Salemis, C. Karagiannis, A. Konstantinidis, D. Nikolopoulos, G. Loudos, N. Sakelios, N. Karakatsanis, K. Nikita, V. L. Gayshan, A. V. Gektin, I. Sianoudis, N. Giokaris , C. D. Nomicos, N. Dimitropoulos, D. Cavouras, G. Panayiotakis, and I. Kandarakis, “Imaging properties of cerium doped Yttrium Aluminum Oxide (YAP:Ce) powder scintillating screens under x-ray excitation”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, Volume 569, December 2006, Pages 210-214.
- N. Efthimiou, N. Kalivas, G. Patatoukas, A. Konstantinidis, I. Valais, D. Nikolopoulos, A. Gaitanis, S. David, C. Michail, G. Loudos, D. Cavouras, G. Panayiotakis and I. Kandarakis, “Investigation of the effect of the scintillator material on the overall X-ray detection system performance by application of analytical models”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, Volume 571, February 2007, Pages 270-273.
- N. Kalivas, I. Valais, D. Nikolopoulos, A. Konstantinidis, A. Gaitanis, D. Cavouras, C. D. Nomicos, G. Panayiotakis and I. Kandarakis, “Light Emission efficiency and imaging properties of YAP:Ce granular phosphor screens”, Applied Physics A Materials Science & Processing, Volume 89, July 2007, Pages 443-449.
- I. Valais, S. David, C. Michail, A. Konstantinidis, I. Kandarakis and G. Panayiotakis, “Investigation of Luminescent Properties of LSO:Ce, LYSO:Ce and GSO:Ce Crystal Scintillators Under Low Energy γ-ray Excitation Used in Nuclear Imaging”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, Volume 581, July 2007, Pages 99-102.
- I. Valais, C. Michail, S. David, A. Konstantinidis, D. Cavouras, I. Kandarakis and G. Panayiotakis, “Luminescence Emission Properties of (Lu,Y)2SiO5:Ce (LYSO:Ce) and (Lu,Y)AlO3:Ce (LuYAP:Ce) Single Crystal Scintillators Under Medical Imaging Conditions”, IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, Volume 55, April 2008, Pages 785-789.
- A. Olivo, S. Bohndiek, J. Griffiths, A. Konstantinidis and R. Speller, “A non-free-space propagation x-ray phase contrast imaging method sensitive to phase effects in two directions simultaneously”, Applied Physics Letters, Volume 94, January 2009, Pages 0441081-0441083.
- N. Allinson, T. Anaxagoras, J. Aveyard, C. Arvanitis, R. Bates, A. Blue, S. Bohndiek, J. Cabello, L. Chen, S. Chen, A. Clark, C. Clayton, E. Cook, A. Cossins, J. Crooks, M. El-Gomati, P.M. Evans, W. Faruqi, M. French, J. Gow, T. Greenshaw, T. Greig, N. Guerrini, E.J. Harris, R. Henderson, A. Holland, G. Jeyasundra, D. Karadaglic, A. Konstantinidis, H.X. Liang, K.M.S. Maini, G. McMullen, A. Olivo, V. O’Shea, J. Osmond, R.J. Ott, M. Prydderch, L. Qiang, G. Riley, G. Royle, G. Segneri, R Speller, J.R.N. Symonds-Tayler, S. Triger, R. Turchetta, C. Venanzi, K. Wells, X. Zha and H. Zin, "The Multidimensional Integrated Intelligent Imaging project (MI-3)", Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, Volume 604, June 2009, Pages 196-198.
- A. Konstantinidis, P. Liaparinos, N. Kalivas, G. Panayiotakis and I. Kandarakis, "Investigation of two heavy element scintillators by Monte-Carlo methods", Journal of Instrumentation, May 2009, Pages 1-6.
- S. E. Bohndiek, A. Blue, J. Cabello, A. T. Clark, N. Guerrini, P. M. Evans, E. J. Harris, A. Konstantinidis, D. Maneuski, J. Osmond, V. O’Shea, R. D. Speller, R. Turchetta, K. Wells, H. Zin and N. Allinson, “Characterization and testing of LAS: a prototype ‘Large Area Sensor’ with performance characteristics suitable for medical imaging applications”, IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, Volume 56, October 2009, Pages 2938-2946.
- H. Zin, P. M. Evans, E. J. Harris, J. P. F. Osmond, J. R. N. Symonds-Tayler, S. E. Bohndiek, A. Konstantinidis, R. D. Speller, N. Allinson, R. Turchetta and A. Clark, “Characterisation of a fast, regional readout CMOS Active Pixel Sensor for application in image guided radiotherapy”, Journal of Nuclear and Related Technologies, Volume 6, December 2009, Pages 1-10.
- H. M. Zin, A. C. Konstantinidis, E. J. Harris, A. Olivo, S. E. Bohndiek, A. Clark, R. Turchetta, N. Allison, R. Speller and P. M. Evans, “Characterisation of Regional Variations in a stitched CMOS APS”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, Volume 620, August 2010, Pages 540-548.
- A. C. Konstantinidis, A. Olivo, P. R. T. Munro, S. E. Bohndiek and R. D. Speller, “Optical characterisation of a CMOS active pixel sensor using periodic noise reduction techniques”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, Volume 620, August 2010, Pages 549-556.
- A. C. Konstantinidis, A. Olivo and R. D. Speller, "Technical Note: Further development of a resolution modification routine for the simulation of the modulation transfer function (MTF) of digital x-ray detectors", Medical Physics, Volume 38, November 2011, Pages 5916-5920.
- A. C. Konstantinidis, A. Olivo and R. D. Speller, "Technical Note: Modification of the standard gain correction algorithm to compensate for the number of used reference flat frames in detector performance studies", Medical Physics, Volume 38, December 2011.
- M. Esposito, T. Anaxagoras, A. Fant, K. Wells, A. Konstantinidis, J. Osmond, P. Evans, R. Speller and N. Allinson, "DynAMITe: A Wafer Scale Sensor for Biomedical Applications", Journal of Instrumentation (in press).