- Biomedical Optics Research Laboratory Biomedical Ultrasound Centre for Medical Image Computation Continence and Skin Technology Group Electrical Impedance Tomography Implanted Devices Magnetic Resonance Imaging Proton and Advanced Radiotherapy Radiation Physics
- Current Students
- Prospective Students
- About the Department
- Women in Medical Physics
CLONS:Closed LOop Neural prosthesis for vestibular disorderS
The CLONS project aims to develop suitable technological solutions to increase the quality of life of people affected by vestibular disorders. Specifically, an innovative closed-loop sensory neural prosthesis will be developed and tested in animal models with the aim of being implemented in a clinical population.
This prosthesis will restore the communication of vestibular information by electrically stimulating nerves connected to the semicircular canals. The stimulation patterns will be based on information provided by inertial sensors mounted to the user's head. This ambitious, inter-disciplinary project will require overcoming the following challenges:
- intra-vestibular interfaces able to create connections with neurons innervating the vestibular periphery.
- implantable circuitry that is powerful and robust yet small and biocompatible.
- an artificial vestibular system that can be attached to a user's head.
- machine learning to discover effective vestibular stimulation strategies.
- algorithms to adaptive stimulation interaction with the prosthetic user.
This project is funded by the European Union via the Future & Emerging Technologies Open Scheme. It is a collaboration amongst a large number of partners, including:
- Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna Fraunhofer
- Institute for Biomedical Engineering University College of London (Electronic and Electrical Engineering dept and Implanted Devices Group)
- Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique
- Hopitaux universitaires de Geneve
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology [ETH Zurich]
For more information: http://www.clons-project.eu/