MSc in Physics and Engineering in Medicine (distance learning option)
The online programme by distance learning has been developed to take account of the educational and training needs of students around the world, either working in or wishing to enter the field of medical physics and biomedical engineering. The distance learning route began in the Autumn term of 2011 and produced its first graduates in 2014. Currently, there are close to 30 students working through the Masters programme, who are based on 5 continents and in over 15 countries.
Students study the same modules as campus-based students on the Radiation Physics stream, and complete matching coursework and normally a locally-based research project with additional remote supervision from UCL. Distance learning students sit local supervised exams on the same day as the campus-based students in London and are expected to meet the same academic standards as the London-based MSc students to receive an equivalent masters qualification. Online students are always welcome to attend London-based lectures if an opportunity presents itself, but no London attendance is compulsory at any point of the online degree.
The online programme normally takes between 3 and 4 years to complete, although it can be done in 2 years by students with considerable time to dedicate to their studies, and a fifth year can be used as contingency. Nearly all of our distance learning students balance study with work, and many are working in or completing training across industrial, hospital or research workplace environments where physics and engineering is applied in medicine. The programme offers a high degree of flexibility for our students, with options to increase or decrease the number of modules per year, or defer for a whole year in cases of high family or workplace commitments.
Why study through distance learning?
- Removes travel and entry restrictions, as well as costs, of relocation to London
- Flexible learning over 2-4 years (often 3 years) to fit around busy lives and careers
- Study any time, anywhere – all you need is an internet connection
- Structured modular courses in easy-to-follow packages which are available through UCL's intuitive Virtual Learning Environment
- Replay lecture material as often as you wish supplemented with additional online resources
- A dedicated online tutor for distance learning students offering structured, formative tutorials
- Access to UCL’s extensive digital resources libraries 24 hours a day
- Receive the same UCL qualification as students on campus