UCL Medical School News
- UCLMS student Daniyal Jafree is selected to join the Zurich International Biology Undergraduate Summer School
- RUMS rugby team win the United Hospitals Cup!
- NEW: Postgraduate Certificate/Diploma/MSc in Clinical and Professional Development
- Masters level credited modules available
- MSEC team in Kazakhstan
- Jane Richardson posthumously awarded her Psychology Doctorate
- New UCL Cruciform Hub officially opens
- Art launch at the Whittington Undergraduate Centre
- UCL student volunteers win Team London Award
- UCL Medical School in Times Good University Guide
- Cruciform Hub Now Open!
- UCL Medical School awarded Athena SWAN Silver Award
- Dr Deborah Gill wins Women in the City Future Leaders Award 2014
- UCLMS student Ersong Shang wins the Duke Elder Undergraduate Prize in Ophthalmology
- Professor Jane Dacre elected president of the Royal College of Physicians
- UCLMS Seminar: The intercalated BSc - Dr Melvyn Jones - 10th March
- Provost’s Public Engagement Awards
- Jane Dacre holds first MRCP PACES in Myanmar
- UCLMS Social Media Policy
- Obituary: Dr Daniel Brudney
- UCLMS Medical Education Conference - Transitions in Medical Education
- UCLMS Seminar: 'Practicing professionalism in an age of digital social networking': exploring the digital divide
- UCL Medical School Hubs
- NHS Change Day: do something better together
- Speak Up! The 2013 National Student Survey seeks your views
- Excellence in Medical Education Awards applications deadline is 11th February 2013
- UCLMS Seminar: "I'm only a student" - Medical Students’ Ethical Dilemmas
- Professor Jane Dacre attended an Inquiry into Women in the Workplace at the House of Commons
- Professor Jane Dacre wins high profile city award
- Number 1 in the capital (again!): UCL remains London’s top ranked medical school
- Medical schools encouraged by increase of women in academic posts
- Find out about UCLMS Education Consultancy
- 2012-13 dates for UCLMS Medical Education Seminar Series and Conference
- The MBBS course at UCL: No.1 in London, 4th in the UK and 6th in the world
- UCLMS student, Kwame Asante, wins the prestigious Chortle Student Comedy Award
- Developing your career in medical education; a conference for trainees and students
- UCLMS student, Dan Grant, carried the Olympic Flame through London.
- Medical Education Conference 2012
- Final Year UCLMS student, Rita Issa, wins 2nd prize in the Michael Pittilo Student Essay Award
- Target Medicine's academic leads visit the Cabinet Office
- Latest MBBS 2012 Curriculum Overview
- Luton and Dunstable Hospital is awarded UCL Medical School Teaching Hospital status
- ‘Getting ready for the REF: Strengthening submissions in medical education research’
- Clinical Assessment Centre Open Day
- Medical Education Conference 2012
- New Clinical Assessment Centre
- Meet the clinical fellows
- UCL Medical School tops the London Schools in the NSS
Professor Jane Dacre elected president of the Royal College of Physicians
28 April 2014
Professor Jane Dacre was elected president of the Royal
College of Physicians last night, by single transferable vote from a
field of ten candidates, in a ballot organised by Electoral Reform
The result was announced at the end of College Day, the day of
the RCP’s Annual General Meeting. Professor Dacre won by 281 votes from
the next nearest candidate and becomes the third female president in
the RCP’s history.
In total there were 4,933 valid votes, and following nine voting transfers Professor Dacre was elected with 1,848 votes. The number of votes cast has risen from 3,579 in 2006, through 3,707 in 2010, to 4,933 in 2014.
Professor Dacre is currently director of UCL Medical School, and a consultant physician and rheumatologist at the Whittington Hospital in North London. Until recently she was Medical Director of the MRCP(UK) – the membership examination of the Joint Royal Colleges of Physicians of the UK. Previous posts include Vice Dean and Director of Medical Education, UCL, between 2007 and 2010 and Professor of Medical Education at UCL.
Her main research interest is assessment. She has designed several high profile exams and currently leads a research consultancy on the development of the tests of competence for the UK General Medical Council's (GMC) Fitness to Practise Procedures. She was a member of the Council of the GMC in 2009- 2012, and was chair of their Education and Training Committee. Professor Dacre was included on the inaugural Health Service Journal (HSJ) list of 50 inspirational women in Healthcare in 2013, and won the Women in the City Woman of Achievement Award in Medicine and Healthcare 2012.
On being elected, Professor Dacre said:
"I am honoured to have been elected as President of the Royal College of Physicians today. I look forward to the challenges ahead, and to helping physicians to have a stronger voice in the NHS."
Sir Richard Thompson, current RCP president, said:
"I congratulate Jane on being elected to the presidency and hope that she enjoys her term of office as much as I have over the past four years."