Introduction to Clinical Simulation
- This module will give participants the knowledge and skills to:
- Focus on the use of simulation in Clinical Education
- Enable participants to explore the world of simulation in the Clinical environment from a teaching learning perspective
- Provide an opportunity to broaden understanding of simulation in action
The module will explore the pedagogical basis of simulation activities alongside varied theoretical approaches to learning and teaching.
Participants will have the opportunity for group discussion from experiences both past and present. The course will also explore diverse methodology such as gamification as an educational tool in clinical practice.
Module Learning Outcomes
By the end of this module participants will be able to:
- Critically evaluate current literature regarding simulation in clinical practice
- Outline the pedagogical implications of simulation in action.
- Explain how to develop an effective simulation experience for medical students and Foundation Doctors
- Demonstrate how to engage participants in simulation
- Explain how to include recent developments in simulation and how to integrate this into their own teaching and clinical practice
Mode of Delivery
Blended learning: Two days of face-to-face contact and distance learning through a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
The virtual learning element of the module will be accompanied by a day of face-to face contact at the beginning of the module and a practical day at the end. The introductory day will allow participants to orientate themselves in person at the beginning of the module, meet their tutors and each other and engender engagement with and commitment to the module.
The second day will be for participants to present their simulation session for assessment.
Teaching dates 2017/18
This module runs once a year (subject to a minimum of 10 students) in the following teaching block:
Face to face sessions (compulsory)
||Assignment due date||
Closing date for applications
Monday 09 Jan 2018
Friday 02 Mar 2018
Monday 09 Jan 2018; Thursday 22 Feb 2018
Monday 20 March 2017
If you have any queries please contact email@example.com.
Additional module choices
- Education for the Healthcare Professions
- Introduction to Assessment
- Leadership Skills for the Healthcare Professional
- Quality Improvement in Health Care
- Teaching and Learning in Medical Education
- Teaching Ethics and Law in Clinical Education
- Qualitative Research Methods for Clinical and Professional Education
- Writing a Research Proposal