Excellence in Medical Education Awards
Excellence in Medical Education Awards 2016-17
As an organisation committed to teaching and learning, the Medical School wishes to identify and reward those making an outstanding commitment to students and their education. The Excellence in Medical Education Awards (EMEAs) are open to anyone involved in undergraduate medical education (academics or administrators). Their purpose is to provide a tangible means of recognition of exceptional contributions to education in any year of the MBBS programme.
The 2016-17 EMEA application process is now closed.
Who Can Apply?
*Applicants must have been involved in the education of undergraduates on the MBBS programme for a minimum of 1 year, including:
- Any member of academic or administrative staff, who is an employee of UCL.
- Clinicians or administrators based at a NHS site (community or hospital).
- Teams working together to provide teaching.
- Members of support staff involved in the facilitation of student learning.
*Please note that if you have won an EMEA in the last three years you will need to show significant development in the field, or be clear that the application is on the basis of clearly distinct work.
Method of Application
- EMEA Application Form 2016-17
- EMEA Academic Guidance Notes 2016-17
- EMEA Administrator Guidance Notes 2016-17
The application form is organised under headings with reference to the criteria set out in the Guidance Notes. Applicants will need to provide examples of evidence to illustrate how their practice meets these criteria.
- Sections 1, 2 & 3 must be completed.
- Team applications must also include a description of how each member contributes to the Team's educationally excellent activities.
- It is not essential to excel in all areas to be considered for an EMEA.
- Additional relevant supporting materials may be attached. We have developed different sets of guidance notes for academics and administrators to provide examples of relevant evidence for each to submit with their applications.
- The Reference section should be completed by the candidate’s Head of Department, Division or Institute, the Undergraduate Tutor (in the case of a DGH) or another appropriate teaching lead or senior colleague, who must countersign part of the form.
Completed applications should be emailed to the QA unit by the deadline above.
Making a Case for an EMEA
Those making applications are asked to make a claim under the key aspects of teaching and the support of student learning listed in the Application Guidance Notes. The case may focus on outstanding achievement in only two or three key areas or on a broader range of activities. There is no specific time frame for your activities or examples, however they should be relevant to current teaching.
Selection Process & Criteria
A sub-group of mQMEC will assess all applications on the quality of evidence provided to support the information in the application form, whilst recognising any specialist requirements of the discipline. The decision of mQMEC sub-group will be announced in May. The decision is final and there is no right of appeal.
The names of winners of Awards will be reported to mQMEC and the MBBS Teaching Committee (MBBS TC). Winners will be notified following a selection process and awards will be presented to successful candidates at the UCLMS MBBS degree ceremony.
Enquiries about any aspect of the EMEAs should be addressed to the QA unit or 020 7679 0849 (Quality Assurance Unit).