Professional and other activities
Various professional activities in which I am or have been involved
- Laterality: Asymmetries of Body, Brain and Cognition (co-founding editor since 1996)
- Journal of Health Psychology (Associate Editor, 2000-present; Editorial Board, 1996-99)
- Psychology, Health & Medicine (Editorial Board, 1994-2012)
- Developmental Neuropsychology (Editorial Board, 1993-present)
- Annals of Improbable Research (Editorial Board)
- BMC Medical Education (Editorial Board, 2005-present)
- BMC Medicine (Editorial Board,2012-present)
- Empirical Studies of the Arts (Editorial Board, 2006-present)
- Perception (Editorial Board, 1998-2009)
- Medical Education (Editorial Board, 1993-6;1999-2006)
- British Journal of Psychology (Associate Editor, 1995-2000)
- Educational Adviser, MRCP(UK) (1997-present)
- Member, PLAB Review Body, General Medical Council (2011-)
- Member of International Expert Panel, Improving Selection to the Foundation Programme, April 2009 (Medical Schools Council). The report, The Next Stage Review: A High Quality Workforce, was published February 2010, including the Expert Panel Report and the Report on Matching Algorithms.
- Member of PMETB working group for Discussion Document on Oral Assessments (August 2009)
- BMA: Medical Education Sub-Committee (2007-8)
- Dept of Health/NHS National Institute for Health Research: Commissioning panel for Evaluation of Modernising Medical careers pilots (2007-present).
- PMETB (Postgraduate Medical Education and Training Board): 2006-7: Analysis of data from National Survey of Trainee Doctors.
- UK Ignobel Tour 2004 onwards (a part of National Science and Engineering Week run by the BA)
- PINC.8 (2007)
- Myers Lecture, 2005, British Psychological Society
- British Association for the Advancement of Science: President of the Psychology Section 2002
- BAYS/BPS lecturer, Glasgow, 2001
- General Medical Council: Performance Procedures Evaluation Group 1996-1999
- MRC Advisory Board: Clinical Research Training Referee, 1997-9
- Adjunct Professor of Psychology, Department of Psychology, University of Waterloo, Canada 1997-9
Miscellanous awards, etc.
- Ignobel Prize 2002
- Aventis Prize 2003
- Wellcome Trust Prize 1999
- Fellow of the International Association of Empirical Aesthetics (IAEA)
Radio, TV etc.
- 4th April 2013: Ignobel lecture at the Institute of Engineering and Technology. Click here for a video of the event (I am at about 1:16).
- 4th to 11th March 2013: Ignobel tour of Denmark and Sweden.
- 17th May 2012: Interview on BBC's Material World, about the scientific study of aesthetics. Click here for the podcast.
- 1st October 2011: Appearance on QI talking about the Ignobel prize; click here to watch it (I appear at about 9:10 on the recording).
- 13th October 2010: Interview on Radio 2's Simon Mayo DriveTime on left-handedness -- click here to listen to it.
- He played it left hand (BBC Radio 3, 20th August 2010). Interview for a BBC Radio 3 interval talk during a Prom which included Ravel's Concerto for the Left Hand. No longer available to 'listen again', but I have a very large MP3 if you contact me.
- All in the Mind (BBC Radio 4, 25th May 2010); can be downloaded as an MP3.
- Six thousand postcards (presenter of half-hour programme for BBC Radio 4, 2006)
- A slip of the tongue (presenter of two half-hour programmes for the BBC World Service, 1995)
- Do elephants weep? (presenter of three half-hour programmes for the BBC World Service, 1999)
- National Gallery Podcast on brains and painting (August 2007 -- click on Episode Ten for MP3 file)
- Interviews on BBC Radio 4's Material World (18th Oct 2007; 11th Aug 2005)
- Questions questions, BBC Radio 4, 14th April 2005 on left-handedness
- The Naked Scientists, 30th Aug 2005, on Autism, intelligence and left-handedness
- All in the Mind, BBC Radio 4 5th March 2003: The golden ratio
Popular science presentations, Guest Lectures, etc.
- A lecture to the Cardiff Medical Society in March 2012, entitled Early determinants of performance in medical graduates -- nature or nurture?. Click here to view the video.
- The Lord Cohen Lecture at the ASME annual conference in Edinburgh in July, entitled, “In divers manners”: Exploring diversity in medical education, is now available; click here to see it.
- Lecture in March 2011 in Dundee as a part of the 2011 Ignobel Tour of the UK. Click here for a video.
- Lecture at the Wellcome Trust on right- and left-handedness for their evening event Hands: Amazing Appendages, 26th November 2010.
- Guest Lecture, 13th Sigma-Aldrich Organic Synthesis Meeting, Spa Belgium, 3rd Dec 2009
- Brunel Science Lecture, Portsmouth Grammar School, 15th September, 2009
- University of Surrey, Faculty of Arts and Human Sciences Annual Public Lecture, 13th May 2009, Right Hand, Left Hand.
- Cafe Scientifique: Various presentations in Leeds, Newcastle, Cambridge and London
- Ignobel UK tours. Video podcasts of the Imperial College talks for the past few years are available via the Imperial College website, or through iTunes (click here).
- Dana Centre, December 2007
Page last modified on 17 apr 13 22:41
Medical Education: MRCP(UK) studies