MPhil / PhD Programmes

An MPhil or PhD by research is an extremely challenging and rewarding way of study for a higher degree.

Currently there are approximately 120 graduate students and research assistants engaged in research leading to the MPhil/PhD degrees within the department and we are always keen to attract more high calibre graduate students to join our research teams.

The length of a PhD/MPhil programme is normally 3 years full time plus an extra of up to one year for writing up. Part-time registration over a longer period is also possible.

The student is expected to produce a significant contribution to the development and understanding of a specific field within mechanical engineering. Skills training will be included during the period of research and experience has shown that PhD students leaving the department are in great demand by industry.

A wide range of research topics and projects are available, corresponding to the interests of the members of staff, under three main research themes:

Further Information

For further information please contact our Graduate Tutor (Research):
The Graduate Tutor (Research)
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University College London
tel: +44 (0)20 7679 3907
fax:+44 (0)20 7388 0180

The normal minimum entrance qualification for registration for an MPhil/PhD is a first or an upper second class degree in an appropriate discipline, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard although the depth and breadth of prior industrial experience is also taken into account in assessing applications.

Applicants whose first language is not English should refer to UCL's English language entrance requirements.

The department has two types of research vacancies.

The first is where the position is already fully- or partially-funded as part of a recently-awarded grant (e.g. EPSRC or industry funded). The annual stipend will be around £15,000 pounds and is normally free of taxation for current funded vacancies please go to Departmental Vacancies, these vacancies tend to fill quickly.

The second type is MPhil/PhD research projects which staff would like to supervise, but the study would either have to be privately funded or be subject to some future grant/scholarship application (see Funding Opportunities).

If interested in any of these research vacancies, please contact: Dr William Suen, Graduate Tutor (Research) -

Research Projects

  • Biomechanical Engineering
  • Energy and the Environment
  • Marine Engineering & Naval Architecture

To make an application please visit the UCL application website, and select How to Apply, where you can choose between the options of applying online, downloading the application materials, or requesting an application pack to be sent by post. Before submitting a formal application, it is advisable for you to identify suitable research supervisor within our department, and discuss your research interests and possible research projects with your perspective supervisor. Individual staff research activities can be found on

The complete and official information on Funding Opportunities offered by UCL can be found on the UCL Graduate School website. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic excellence and potential

Applicants must hold or expect to achieve a high-grade qualification, at least the equivalent of a UK 2.1 or first class honours degree, from a prestigious academic institution. Complete applications along with required documentation must be submitted to the applicant's academic department.

A limited number of scholarships are available for UK/EU or overseas students to study at UCL.

These scholarships are however highly competitive and all applicants should indicate what alternative sources of funding they will have available on their application form. In addition, the department offers fully- or partially-funded studentships as a part of awarded grants (e.g. EPSRC or industry funded).

These vacancies tend to fill quickly. There are also MPhil/PhD research projects which staff would like to supervise, but the study would either have to be privately funded or sponsored.

Page last modified on 10 oct 12 16:06