Mecheng News Publication
- Lecturer Dr Vanessa Diaz: Appointed Chair of the Science, Engineering & Technology panel
- Bright Club - Are bio-fuels funny?
- Mark Miodownik: Stuff Matters review
- 2013 UCL Bright Ideas Awards
- Royal Academy of Engineering Rooke Medal
- In vivo preclinical stage started for the Triskele UCL Transcatheter Aortic Valve
- Formula Student 2013
- Macromolecular Rapid Communications
- Osborne Reynolds Research Student award
- Mr Santiago Suárez De La Fuente wins IMarEST Stanley Gray Fellowship 24 July 2013
- Senior Promotions for 2013
- Cell Electrospinning featured on BBC World News
- An encapsulated drug delivery system for recalcitrant urinary tract infection
- James Cook wins the first Parmigiani Spirit Award
- Prof Edirisinghe scoops third Royal Society award
- Event: "Lost in Translation" Tuesday November 19, 13:00
- Coastal storm talk online
- What's in a SNAME?
- What do you get an engineer for Christmas?
- Meet Helen Czerski, Bubble Scientist
- On the road again: UCL Racing 2014 seeks drivers
- Mark Miodownik: Bye bye brolly
- "Super-hydrophobic?" Meet Dr Manish K Tiwari
- "and the winner is..." researchers Sherwood and Nithyanandan pick up prizes
- In pictures: SET for Britain 2014
- New device for four-layered macromolecular particles invented
- Limitless: An interview with Professor Yiannis Ventikos
- Major changes to global shipping needed to reduce emissions
- UCL’s Media Communicator of the Year (Broadcast) is…
- MechEng undergraduates storm the UK top ten
- The passing of John Inns
- Six days, seven nights: my week as a Royal Navy submariner by Lucy Collins
- Usher shines amongst Chinese stars
- UCL team look to the future with new eco marathon entry
- Watching stressful movies triggers changes to your heartbeat
- Helen Czerski: Low carbon flight on the horizon?
- MechEng researcher/alumni scoop prestigious international naval awards
- James Cook awarded for his Bright Idea
- "Computational Biomedicine" a Q&A with Dr Vanessa Diaz
- The future of mitral valve surgery?
- Israfil's nano-delight
- Event: 'Animals and Engineers: learning from nature.'
- Academic promotions 2014
- Event: Micro and Nano Flows Conference 2014
- UCL MechEng to research ultra efficient engines in £6m EPSRC projects
- Jaguar Land Rover invests £1m in engine combustion research project
- Mark Miodownik’s excellent week
- MUSE team wins Marie Curie ‘blue skies’ research funding
- Biomaterials EPSRC hat-trick to help launch academic careers
- Stuff really matters: Mark Miodownik wins Royal Society Winton Prize for Science Books
- REF 2014: The impact behind the power
- Prized naval architect Jeom Kee Paik joins UCL MechEng team
- Cover story: "Creating optically tunable protein bubbles..."
- Royal Navy honours Dan Hall with YARD Prize
- The new Pindelski-Barrack Bursary: Alumni fund places for MechEng undergraduates
- Dr Paul Hellier: Fuelling the Future
- Dr Sunthar Mahalingam wins international young researcher award
- Leverhulme Fellowship allows Vanessa Diaz to "imagine the impossible"
- Professor Paik claims William Froude Medal for Naval Architecture
- Review paper on engineering micro-organisms for designer fuels production
- UCL MechEng students head to Rotterdam with a Euro vision
- MechEng undergrads to mentor local schools in global STEM initiative
- Cover story: “Coupling Infusion and Gyration for the Nanoscale Assembly of Functional Polymer Nanofibers..."
- US National Academies laud Mark Miodownik's "Stuff Matters"
- Professor Edirisinghe appointed as fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering
- Ship Design Team awarded Five Year $500,000 Grant
- Understanding the physics of pancakes to save sight
- Mark Miodownik receives AAAS Public Engagement with Science Award
- Alimohammadi claims best medical engineering thesis prize
- Reinventing toothpaste with nanotechnology: The future of oral health formulations
- Professor Shervanthi Homer-Vanniasinkam joins UCL Mechanical Engineering
- UCL collaboration wins 2016 Rosetrees prize
- Research grant to design antimicrobial filters awarded
What's in a SNAME?
13 December 2013
Student marine group launches first social
You wouldn’t normally find a motley collection of engineering students, a tower of pizza, dozens of cans of beer and a Denzel Washington movie in the Naval Architecture design studio.
In fairness, this was no lecture but a gathering of UCL’s new Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME) student section, the first of its kind in the UK.
While UCL’s student section is brand new, SNAME itself boasts a 120-year history as an international community of maritime professionals, with its origins in the United States.
Encouraged by experienced naval architect and UCL lecturer Ema Muk-Pavic, the UCL group was set up earlier this term and has already hosted a visit and lecture from SNAME’s President, Peter Noble, in October. This evening’s pizza-fuelled ‘Crimson Tide’ screening was an altogether less formal affair.
Lucy Collins, mild-mannered Naval Architecture research assistant and chair for the UCL SNAME student section, explained the group’s rationale:
“Our overall aim is to promote an interest in the marine industry among students. That means enabling an exchange of knowledge and ideas between our members, other educational institutions working in this area and of course the professional marine industry.
“When you start your professional career, you are going to be part of a professional body. SNAME is the body in the marine field really geared towards students.
“We are trying to broaden students’ horizons beyond studying; looking further outwards towards industry, to what their jobs will be and how they will continue to develop themselves, to have the skills that they need to succeed in the industry.”
Aiming to attract students from other disciplines to the SNAME section, Lucy and vice-chair Joel Perez Osses were pleased with the turnout to their first social. “We had more people there than we have Marine Engineering and Naval Architecture students on our courses.”
“Was that because of the beer?” we wondered, prompting a chuckle.
Page last modified on 13 dec 13 10:23