Mecheng News Publication
- Lecturer Dr Vanessa Diaz: Appointed Chair of the Science, Engineering & Technology panel
- Bright Club - Are bio-fuels funny?
- Mark Miodownik: Stuff Matters review
- 2013 UCL Bright Ideas Awards
- Royal Academy of Engineering Rooke Medal
- In vivo preclinical stage started for the Triskele UCL Transcatheter Aortic Valve
- Formula Student 2013
- Macromolecular Rapid Communications
- Osborne Reynolds Research Student award
- Mr Santiago Suárez De La Fuente wins IMarEST Stanley Gray Fellowship 24 July 2013
- Senior Promotions for 2013
- Cell Electrospinning featured on BBC World News
- An encapsulated drug delivery system for recalcitrant urinary tract infection
- James Cook wins the first Parmigiani Spirit Award
- Prof Edirisinghe scoops third Royal Society award
- Event: "Lost in Translation" Tuesday November 19, 13:00
- Coastal storm talk online
- What's in a SNAME?
- What do you get an engineer for Christmas?
- Meet Helen Czerski, Bubble Scientist
- On the road again: UCL Racing 2014 seeks drivers
- Mark Miodownik: Bye bye brolly
- "Super-hydrophobic?" Meet Dr Manish K Tiwari
- "and the winner is..." researchers Sherwood and Nithyanandan pick up prizes
- In pictures: SET for Britain 2014
- New device for four-layered macromolecular particles invented
- Limitless: An interview with Professor Yiannis Ventikos
- Major changes to global shipping needed to reduce emissions
- UCL’s Media Communicator of the Year (Broadcast) is…
- MechEng undergraduates storm the UK top ten
- The passing of John Inns
- Six days, seven nights: my week as a Royal Navy submariner by Lucy Collins
- Usher shines amongst Chinese stars
- UCL team look to the future with new eco marathon entry
- Watching stressful movies triggers changes to your heartbeat
- Helen Czerski: Low carbon flight on the horizon?
- MechEng researcher/alumni scoop prestigious international naval awards
- James Cook awarded for his Bright Idea
- "Computational Biomedicine" a Q&A with Dr Vanessa Diaz
- The future of mitral valve surgery?
- Israfil's nano-delight
- Event: 'Animals and Engineers: learning from nature.'
- Academic promotions 2014
- Event: Micro and Nano Flows Conference 2014
- UCL MechEng to research ultra efficient engines in £6m EPSRC projects
- Jaguar Land Rover invests £1m in engine combustion research project
- Mark Miodownik’s excellent week
- MUSE team wins Marie Curie ‘blue skies’ research funding
- Biomaterials EPSRC hat-trick to help launch academic careers
- Stuff really matters: Mark Miodownik wins Royal Society Winton Prize for Science Books
- REF 2014: The impact behind the power
- Prized naval architect Jeom Kee Paik joins UCL MechEng team
- Cover story: "Creating optically tunable protein bubbles..."
- Royal Navy honours Dan Hall with YARD Prize
- The new Pindelski-Barrack Bursary: Alumni fund places for MechEng undergraduates
- Dr Paul Hellier: Fuelling the Future
- Dr Sunthar Mahalingam wins international young researcher award
- Leverhulme Fellowship allows Vanessa Diaz to "imagine the impossible"
- Professor Paik claims William Froude Medal for Naval Architecture
- Review paper on engineering micro-organisms for designer fuels production
- UCL MechEng students head to Rotterdam with a Euro vision
- MechEng undergrads to mentor local schools in global STEM initiative
- Cover story: “Coupling Infusion and Gyration for the Nanoscale Assembly of Functional Polymer Nanofibers..."
- US National Academies laud Mark Miodownik's "Stuff Matters"
- Professor Edirisinghe appointed as fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering
- Ship Design Team awarded Five Year $500,000 Grant
- Understanding the physics of pancakes to save sight
- Mark Miodownik receives AAAS Public Engagement with Science Award
- Alimohammadi claims best medical engineering thesis prize
- Reinventing toothpaste with nanotechnology: The future of oral health formulations
MechEng researcher/alumni scoop prestigious international naval awards
3 June 2014
Recent master’s student Sub Lt Jordy van de Mheen and current PhD researcher Ian Whitelegg are proud recipients of a prestigious award from the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (IMarEST).
The duo received a £2500 runner up prize for their paper ‘A comparison of energy storage methods for conventional diesel-electric submarines' in the Sir Donald Gosling award, for authors under 35, at the International Naval Engineering Conference (INEC) held in Amsterdam in May.
From left: Sub Lt Jordy van de Mheen, Ian Whitelegg and Dominic Burger
The successful paper was based on an award-winning tool for designing submarine power systems, developed by Jordy as part of the MSc course he completed in 2013.
Jordy, now a junior engineering officer on Royal Netherlands Navy submarine HNLMS Walrus said, “I was honoured for the opportunity to present at such a professional conference as the INEC. We were hopeful when we finished the paper, but when we saw the high level papers and presentations of other authors, we didn't expect a prize at all.”
Collaborator Ian Whitelegg, studying for his PhD in ship electrical systems, had been more confident. Ian said, “To receive recognition from such an audience is great. It was a genuine honour to be asked to co-author the paper on Jordy’s outstanding work. The tool Jordy created is currently being used by the Dutch Navy and on the UCL submarine design course. I’m sure future students will continue to develop it.”
The pair thanked Professor Richard Bucknall, who directs the department’s MSc’s in Marine Engineering and Power Systems and who supervised the original award-winning project and the newly-feted paper.
Prof Bucknall in turn said “Jordy and Ian are outstanding students who have made real and useful contributions to marine engineering science and to submarine design. They are true ambassadors for UCL.”
Making the category something of a UCL ‘sweep’, the first prize £5000 in the category was also awarded to a UCL MechEng alumnus, Dominic Burger, now of Naval Design Partnership, for his paper 'Unmanned Naval Aviation and its Impact on Future Carrier Design.'
Page last modified on 03 jun 14 15:03