- Prospective Students
- Graduate Students
- Courses & Modules
- Alumnus Activity
- Inaugural Lectures
- Other Events
- The Dynamics of Rotating Fluids Meeting 2015
- The Dynamics of Rotating Fluids
- Workshop: Computational complex analysis for free surface flows and other applications, 20-22 April 2015
- Department & Sub-Divisions
- Find Us
- Women In Mathematics
- Athena SWAN
- Staff Intranet
- Research Excellence Framework (REF)
- London School of Geometry and Number Theory (LSGNT)
EPSRC award offers new PhD opportunities in pure mathematics
- UCL Mathematics and Statistical Science 5th in league table for UK mathematics departments
- Helen Wilson and Mark Ronan comment on the Fields Medal 2014
The Dynamics of Rotating Fluids Meeting 2009
Friday 9 January 2009
A meeting on the above theme will be held on Friday 9 January 2009 in Room 500 (5th floor of the Mathematics/Students Union building). The programme is as follows:
1.30pm Andrew Thompson (Cambridge)
'Jet formation and evolution in baroclinic turbulence with simple topography'
1.45pm Jean Reinaud (St Andrews)
'The stability and the nonlinear evolution of QG hetons'
2.00pm Peter Davidson (Cambridge)
'Energy decay in rotating turbulence'
2.15pm Andrew Stewart (Oxford)
'Multilayer shallow water equations on a non-traditional beta plane'
2.30pm William Townsend (Keele)
'Singular focusing of sub-inertial internal waves on the non-traditional beta-plane'
2.45pm Vladimir Zeitlin (LMD, Paris)
'Turbulence of inertial waves'
3.00pm Mark Brend (Warwick)
'Vortex rings in rotating systems'
3.45pm Jonathan Healey (Keele)
'Absolute instability of swirling jets: unsteady vortex breakdown?'
4.00pm Jonathan Gula (LMD, Paris)
'Instabilities of two-layer shallow-water flows with vertical shear in the rotating annulus'
4.15pm Greg King (Lisbon)
'Evidence for upscale energy transfer in the marine boundary layer from structure function analysis of QuikSCAT measured surface winds'
4.30pm Georgi Sutyrin (Rhode Island)
'Balance breakdown and Ripa's conditions of stability'
4.45pm Chris Hughes (Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory)
'Suppression of ocean eddies by steep slopes'
5.00pm David Marshall (Oxford)
'Topographic steering of mean flow and Rossby waves in the Southern Ocean'
- Please click here for information about previous 'Dynamics of Rotating Fluids' Meetings
- Return to 'Other Events' page
Page last modified on 14 nov 12 14:06