UCL Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Medieval and Renaissance Studies Staff
- MA in Medieval and Renaissance Studies (MARS)
- PhD Research in Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Medieval and Renaissance Studies (MARS) Centre
- Seminars and Lectures
- Libraries and Resources
Medieval Language: Middle High German
This course aims to provide a reading knowledge of Middle High German. We shall study the morphology, syntax and vocabulary of Middle High German, and we shall read and translate selected texts. The texts will be a mixture of literary works; there is some flexibility in the texts depending on student interest. Students should have a good reading knowledge of modern German.
Assessment: unseen three-hour written examination
Course tutor: Sebastian Coxon, German Department
Preparatory reading and coursebooks:
- M. O'C. Walshe, A Middle High German Reader with Grammar, Notes and
- Glossary, Oxford, 1974.
- Sabine Rolle, Mittelhochdeutsches Lesebuch, Berlin, 2005.
- Hermann Paul, Mittelhochdeutsche Grammatik, 25th revised edition by Thomas
- Klein, Hans-Joachim Solms and Klaus-Peter Wegera, Tubingen, 2007.
Page last modified on 18 jun 10 12:35