- Provost's Teaching Award 2010
- Faculty Teaching Award 2010
- New website
- UCL maintains 4th place in QS World University Rankings
- UCL Science
- UCL Chemistry-led research on the Origin of Water on Earth
- Professor Marshall Stoneham
- UCL-led exoplanet satellite wins approval
- Faculty Teaching Award 2011
- A quick splash - Professor Frank Smith, Department of Mathematics
- Winners of MAPS Faculty Teaching Awards 2011
- MAPS 2011 Faculty Postgraduate Prize Winners
- Winners of MAPS Faculty Teaching Awards 2012
- MAPS Faculty Mechanical Workshop Facilities
- Science and Technology Studies YouTube Channel
- Third Crick Symposium: Genetics to Molecules to Therapies
- Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock recognised at Suffrage Science event
- ESA selects instruments to be flown on its icy moons mission
- MAPS science photos on Flickr
- Faculty Postgraduate Prize winners announced
- Star factory in the early Universe challenges galaxy evolution theory
- New research hub promises cheaper energy, cleaner environment and economic development
- New molecule could offer targeted therapies against tumour growth
- New evidence points at easier start for life on Earth
- Rare merger reveals secrets of galaxy evolution
Picture of the Week
The picture represents a "finite energy foliation" of the 3-dimensional manifold S1 x S2 with its standard contact structure. Finite energy foliations are ways of filling 3-dimensional space with smooth surfaces that are solutions to a differential equation arising in string theory. More...
Faculty Teaching Award 2011
1 April 2011
Nominations are now invited from students and staff for the MAPS Faculty Teaching awards 2011.
The awards consist of:
* a prize of £1,500 for a member of Academic staff, in recognition both of excellent and inspirational teaching, and of enhancing the learning experience for undergraduate and/or taught graduate students;
* a prize of £500 for a member of support staff who provides excellent teaching support to students, and who has enhanced the learning experience for undergraduate and/or taught graduate students. This member of staff could be involved with administration, laboratory, IT, or industrial training;
* a prize of £200 for a Postgraduate Teaching Assistant, in recognition of excellent and inspirational teaching.
Written nominations should take the form of two letters:
The first letter should be a supporting statement from the applicant’s Head of Department setting out the reasons why the teaching or other activity supporting teaching is deemed to be excellent.
The second letter, signed by one or more students (either an undergraduate(s) or taught postgraduate(s) from within the MAPS Faculty), should indicate their view of either the inspirational quality of the teaching (Academic staff and PGTA awards), or the quality of support they have received (Support Staff award).
Both letters should be addressed to the Dean of MAPS c/o Rachael Youren.
Last year's unsuccessful applicants will be reconsidered on receipt of further updated information in the above format. Departments may submit more than one nomination, but the Head of Department will be required to rank the nominations.
The closing date for nominations is *Monday 16 May 2011*.
Last year’s recipients of the awards were Prof. Raman Prinja from the Department of Physics & Astronomy (Academic staff award), and Hannah Fry from the Department of Mathematics (PGTA award).
Page last modified on 01 apr 11 16:10