Your gift in action
- Jeremy prepares for Xtreme Everest expedition
- Innovation at the Institute of Making
- Louise's story - Impact Studentship
- Two ‘Lucky Dogs’: From a five minute film to a four month adventure
- Alumni giving supports rising sports stars
- Celebrating student support
- Hosting our first Paralympic Sports Taster Day thanks to your support!
- Redevelopment of Lewis's Building supported by alumni and friends
- Galton's Kantsaywhere
- Helping to rebuild Haiti
- Grant Museum of Zoology becomes 21st century ‘museum laboratory’
- UCL Laws mooting teams able to attend prestigious competitions
- Alumni and friends help UCL research healthier cities
- UCL alumni: the lifeline that helped me reach my potential
- Supporting women's health and international development in Malawi
- Helping communities in Peru to construct their future
- UCL alumni and friends raising the bar
- New uses for old spaces
- "I am so grateful"
- Enhancing the student experience
- Help a student with financial concerns
Innovation at the Institute of Making
31 January 2013
The Institute of Making held a Christmas make session on 12 December 2012 at the UCL Engineering Café. UCL staff, students, alumni and friends explored some of the wonders of the material world in a series of free making workshops. Visitors experimented with dipping, casting, folding, coating and constructing using wax, chocolate, paper, pewter and even got hands on carving moulds out of cuttlefish bone. Over 150 people attended the event and the Institute of Making team brought the scientific processes behind pewter casting and electroplating to chocolate tempering and sugar crystallisation to life. The team posted a big cast pewter thumbs up to all those who attended the event.
Your chance to visit!
There will be a chance to explore the brand new Institute of Making’s MakeSpace and Materials Library during the launch weekend, when the Institute is hosting a series of events. On 16 March UCL alumni and friends are invited to look around the Materials Library, take a tour of the workshop and get stuck into the MakeSpace. There’s no need to book – just come along to the Institute of Making, Malet Place, between 1-5pm.
Word has been spreading about the Institute. In October 2012, the team worked with Wired Magazine to produce a six page spread on Magic Materials, featuring stunning photographs of some intriguing substances. This is now available to view on Wired's website.
BBC Radio 4's Food Programme spent the afternoon at the Institute of Making exploring the taste of materials for a programme on The Science of Taste. You can listen again to the programme via the BBC website.
The Institute of Making’s Creative Director and Curator of the Materials Library, Zoe Laughlin delivered a talk on The Performativity of Matter at TedxBrussels 2012. She appeared alongside Apple founder Steve Wozniak, and veteran hacker and early virtual reality pioneer Mitch Altman. You can see Zoe’s talk on The Institute of Making website.
To keep up to date with the latest goings-on at the Institute, you can subscribe to their mailing list.