Make Your Mark News
- New scholarship programme set up thanks to a £450,000 gift
- Wolfson Foundation awards £20 million to UCL
- UCL alumni and friends help raise over £500,000
- Afternoon Tea celebrates legacy giving to UCL
- Lewis's Building reopened with new facilities
- Scholarships and Bursaries reception: Letting the students do the talking
- Provost's Circle Reception 2011
- New Director of Development and Alumni Relations
- 2008 Grads Surprise Champions of Philanthropy
- A celebration of philanthropy at UCL
- UCL Futures enhancing learning at home and abroad
- Futures Grants for UCL's historic photos and magazines
- Donor reception marks £100m raised so far
- Alumni giving on the rise
- UCL successfully completes solar challenge
Alumni Web Community
The UCL Alumni Web Community allows you to contact your friends, find out about mentoring, update your personal details, give to UCL and much more. Register today to start enjoying the benefits.
2008 Grads Surprise Champions of Philanthropy
8 October 2010
Recent news headlines could leave you thinking philanthropy is the last thing on the minds of graduating students, but UCL’s class of 2008 has proved this isn’t the case. In the last year an unprecedented proportion of gifts to UCL have come from recent graduates. The big boost was an unexpected gesture of support from many who have left to join the working world only a short time ago.
2008 graduates were telephoned by a current student to talk about their experiences since leaving UCL and their advice for those who will soon be taking that step. The graduates were also asked to support UCL with a regular gift of £3 a month and the resulting response was overwhelmingly positive.
Nadia Menuhin (UCL French 2008) explained, “My £3 a month is a way to say thank you for my unique experience and for all the help that I received.”
Hamish Stewart, Head of the Annual Fund at UCL, said of the success, “I think this reflects how those leaving UCL want to maintain their connection – and they want to acknowledge the skills and experience they have gained from their time at UCL.
“Our calls have also been a great way to create a sense of community among our recent graduates – encouraging them to reflect on how they can continue to maintain their relationship with UCL.”