Benefits of being in London
In excess of 400,000 students from 200 countries study at 43 universities in the city, of which two are in the global top 10 and three are in the top 30; making London the world academic capital.
The UCL campus in Bloomsbury, central London, is surrounded by the greatest concentration of academic resources in Europe; within five minutes walk you can find:
- The British Museum, which, with a collection of more than eight million items, is one of the world’s finest.
- The British Library, which has the world’s largest collection of items with more than 150 million books, manuscripts, journals and other digital and printed resources.
- Senate House Library, which has a collection of three million volumes.
- London has more international banks than any other city.
- More than 70% of the FTSE 100 is located in London.
- More than 100 of Europe's 500 largest companies are headquartered in central London.
- 75% of Fortune 500 companies have offices in London.
- Four of the world's six largest law firms are headquartered here.
- The world’s four biggest accountancy firms all have offices in London.
- Globally important media companies from publishing group Pearson, to Reuters and the world's largest advertising business WPP Group are based here.
- Scores of world-renowned think tanks such as Chatham House and the Overseas Development Institute are located in London.
- London has 240 museums, the majority of which are free.
- It has more than 100 art galleries, including the Tate Modern, which is the most visited modern art gallery in the world.
- More than 300 languages are spoken across the city.
- There are 8,000 acres of parkland, equating to one third of the city's landmass.
- The West End has more than 100 theatres.
- London is the home of the British film industry - the capital's local authorities recorded 13,494 filming days in 2010.