We don't have a date for this course yet. Please contact Molly Bennett to register your interest.
This two-week short course is suitable if you're a teacher or student of English as a foreign language (EFL) and you want to:
- brush up your knowledge of the theoretical side of phonetics and bring yourself up-to-date on new developments
- get the opportunity to do some ear-training and listening practice under the guidance of specialist tutors
- improve your own English pronunciation
This course is run by UCL's Division of Psychology and Language Sciences (PaLS).
At UCL we're enthusiastic about the study of pronunciation and how to teach it. For a century, we've been the world's leading university department for English Phonetics - our tradition was established by Daniel Jones, and continued by A.C. Gimson, and J.C. Wells - all scholars with a world-wide reputation.
The course covers all the main aspects of English phonetics:
- phonemic system (vowels and consonants)
- segmental analysis (allophonic processes)
- word stress
- weakening and coarticulation processes
- sentence stress (accent, tonal stress)
- intonation and meaning
Teaching and structure
You'll investigate the various topics in lectures and in practical classes. You'll look at both speaking and listening.
You'll get plenty of practice in pronunciation performance (sounds in isolation and, more importantly, in connected speech) and in auditory discrimination (ear training).
Practical groups will be kept small (not more than about ten people), and will be streamed according to students' level of ability. We expect to have separate groups at various levels for:
- teachers of English as a foreign language
- undergraduate students of English
- university academics and postgraduates
This course will help you to:
- better influence English speaking audiences
- deliver your messages with more clarity
- use more effective language
- improve your English pronunciation
- make a greater impact in English
The standard fee is £725.
You can also take the IPA (International Phonetic Association) examination strand, which has a wider scope. The costs £825 (including the exam). Find out more about the IPA strand.
Find out more
- Read an interview with Geoff Lindsey, course tutor.
- Read about how the Summer Course in English Phonetics benefited two different types of English teacher.
Sign up for short course announcements: Subscribe to the UCL Life Learning newsletter to receive news and updates on courses in your chosen area. (For updates on a specific course, contact the administrator - see 'Contact information'.)
Summer Course in English Phonetics Team
The course director is Dr Geoff Lindsey, Honorary Lecturer in Linguistics at UCL.
All practical classes are led by phoneticians and experienced EFL specialists.
The IPA Certificate strand is led by Dr Patricia Ashby, Emeritus Fellow to the University of Westminster, author of Speech Sounds (second edition, 2005) and of Understanding Phonetics (2011).
Course information last modified: 01 Jun 2017, 10:15