- Theses held in UCL Library
- Open access repositories containing the full text of selected research theses
- Indexes of completed theses
- Obtaining copies of research theses
- Thesis binders
- Electronic theses
University of London theses
The Library holds a copy of most research degree theses completed by students registered at UCL and awarded by the UoL, including many from students at Schools and Institutes prior to merger with UCL. Theses are listed by author on the Library catalogue, Explore: they are shelved in our off-campus Store and may be retrieved for consultation (24hour notice required) by completing the store request form or via the request link on Explore. Theses are not available for loan, either to individuals or via interlibrary loan.
Some UoL research degree theses submitted by UCL students in the areas of classical, Germanic, Latin American studies; history and law are not held: check the catalogue of the UoL School of Advanced Study for availability.
Note that no research theses are now held by the University of London Library.
UCL started to award its own degrees to students registering from 2007/2008. Print copies of research theses are catalogued by author in Explore and shelved in Store; electronic versions are in many cases available on open access in UCL Discovery.
Print copies of theses are not available for loan, either to individual members of the Library or via interlibrary loan.
The Library does not normally hold print copies of any theses in the following categories:
- MA, MSc, MRes, LLM theses
- Diploma theses
- Undergraduate dissertations
- Theses submitted at other universities or colleges
A growing number of open access thesis repositories is becoming available including:
- ProQuest, holds many full text theses. You can search for dissertations & theses there.
- UCL Discovery, UCL's open access research repository, includes theses alongside other UCL publications. You can search for theses, or browse a list.
- EThOS aims to create a one-stop shop for all UK research theses
- The DART-Europe E-theses Portal holds details of open access electronic theses stored in repositories across Europe.
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations includes links to a number of international search tools and portals.
Video - Using PhD theses in research: EThOS
PQDT Global contains over a million full-text dissertations and theses from 1861 onwards that are available for download in PDF format. The collection includes PQDT UK and Ireland content.
Many UK universities now decline to lend research theses. You may visit the awarding university or, increasingly, obtain an electronic version either from the university itself or from EThOS (see above).
Theses awarded by universities worldwide may be requested via UCL Library Services Interlending and Document Supply service. The normal charge for this service applies. Please note that theses are never available for loan: they must be consulted on Library premises only.
UCL Registry maintains a list of thesis binders.