over 5,000 vols.
of over 5,000 volumes, c.500 maps and many pamphlets on the topography,
architecture, social and economic history, etc . of Greater London. It
originated with a bequest of c.700 volumes received in 1873 from the executor
of Captain Henry Ward (d.1867), and became a separate
library in 1922.
It was further
augmented in 1945 by a large collection of books and pamphlets from the
Library of Miss E. Jeffries Davis who was Reader in
London History from 1914 to 1940. The tract collections of the 18th and
19th centuries include ten volumes called Ward Tracts and twelve volumes
called the SOS Tracts from the London Institution. There are also c.200
volumes of histories of the City Livery Companies.
a large collection of maps and engravings of London, from the 17th to
the 20th century. and many interesting early guide books.
Top of page
Last modified 10 February 2005