UCL Library Services


Other Libraries available to UCL users

UCL staff and students can use other, non-UCL libraries and catalogues, including where UCL has made special access arrangements with other UK institutions.

Information on:

Library catalogues


Copac is a multi-library catalogue showing the combined holdings of many of the UK's research libraries, and is a good starting place to search for items not held by UCL.
It is also a key tool for checking whether items are available in the London area, before Taught Postgraduate and Final Year Undergraduate applications are made to use the British Library.

MASC25 - Mapping Access to Special Collections in the London Region

MASC25, managed by UCL Library Services, creates a unified online resource guide to printed special collections in libraries in Higher Education institutions within the M25 consortium.


Search25 helps you discover library resources across London and the South East. You can also see where the libraries are and find out how to visit them.

Union List of Serials (ULS)

This is a list of all journal titles held within the the constituent libraries of the University of London, Imperial College London and the University of Westminster. It is useful for locating hard to find journals containing articles you need. You can select it from the resource type drop down in the search box of the Search25 service.

Libraries with special UCL arrangements

Birkbeck, University of London
British Library
City University, London
Courtauld Institute for Art
Goldsmiths College
Heythrop College
King's College London
London School of Economics
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Queen Mary, University of London
Royal Holloway and Bedford New College
Royal Veterinary College
School of Advanced Study
Senate House Library (University of London)
University of Westminster

Other Libraries in London

University libraries in London area (no special UCL arrangement)

Details of access for UCL staff and students to university libraries in the London area, but not included in the special arrangements group, can be found at the Search25 website or through checking the home pages of the site you wish to visit.

Public and general use libraries

You can join the City of London Library. You can search their catalogue and other online resources by visiting the eLibrary.

Details of your local public library, and information on how to join it, can be found at the UK public libraries website.

Institute and Museum Libraries

National Art Library
Natural History Museum Library
The National Archives
Science Museum Library
Wellcome Library

Libraries outside London

Society of College, National and University Libraries (SCONUL) 

UCL staff and students may be eligible to apply for membership of libraries outside London as part of the SCONUL Access Band A scheme or the Sconul Summer Vacation Access scheme.

Please note that UCL is not part of the SCONUL Access Band 'B' or Band 'C' Schemes.

SCONUL Access Band A Access Scheme

The SCONUL Access Band A scheme is available to UCL staff and Ph.D. / Mphil students. Such people wishing to use the scheme should visit their local UCL library to complete a registration form and to pick up their SCONUL Access Band A card. The SCONUL Access Band A card and the UCL ID card are then taken to the institution you wish to visit to gain preferential access there. Further information can be found on the SCONUL home page

Please note that the SCONUL Access Band A scheme does not apply to undergraduate or taught postgraduate level students.

Sconul Summer Vacation Access Scheme

The Sconul summer vacation access scheme is available to all UCL undergraduates and taught postgraduates. It allows for reference only access to participating institutions during their summer vacation periods. To qualify for such access, UCL students need to take full, valid UCL ID to the institution they wish to visit during the institution's vacation period. Further information can be found on the SCONUL web page.

Please note that the SCONUL summer vacation scheme does not operate during the winter and spring vacations. Institutions will be operating to normal term-time access policies during the winter and spring vacations. 

Useful links