|Step 2: Check your publisher complies with your funder's policy
For an overview of publishers' policies on Open Access, visit the SHERPA-RoMEO database. You can search by publisher or by journal name.
However, for a definitive statement of a journal's policy, ask the journal publisher, or check the journal's Copyright Transfer Agreement/Exclusive Licence Form. The only way to be certain that the journal in which you intend to publish is compliant with your funder's requirements is to ask the publisher directly before you submit.
Questions to ask:
- Do you offer Open Access publishing?
- Can I deposit a version of my article in a repository?
- If so, which version?
- Is there an embargo period?
Wellcome Trust authors: checking your publisher complies with the Wellcome Trust's policy
- First check the Wellcome Trust's guide Journals frequently used by Wellcome Trust grantholders
- If the journal does not appear in the Wellcome Trust's guide, check the SHERPA RoMEO website. If this indicates that the journal complies with the Wellcome Trust's policy, verify this using the link from Sherpa RoMEO to the publisher's agreement with the Wellcome Trust
- For a definitive statement of a journal's policy, ask the journal or check any copyright transfer agreement/exclusive licence form
- Go to step 3 »
For further advice about claiming open access fees, please contact email@example.com.
Last modified 30 March 2010