On behalf of the Dean of Students (Welfare)
The Dean of Students (Welfare) administers a system of fixed fines for the infringements of the Library Regulations.
£20 fine for
- Misuse of library card - lending your card to another person or using someone else's card. UCL ID cards and UCL LS membership cards are only for the use of the person to whom they are issued.
- Activating the exit alarm with un-issued material - it is your responsibility to ensure that all material have been issued priory to going through the exit alarm barriers.
- Exiting via a Fire Exit (except when the fire alarm is activated) - you must always use the designated exits.
(Will reduce to £10 if the fine is paid within 10 working days)
£5 fine for
- Causing a disturbance in reading areas - the reading areas are for quiet study only.
- Talking on a mobile phone/communications device outside the designated areas - please ask Library staff if you are not sure where you are allowed to use your mobile phone.
(Will reduce to £2.50 if the fine is paid within 10 working days)
UCL Main Library: phones my be used in the Flaxman Gallery only.
UCL Science Library: phones my be used on the ground floor in the Learning Laboratory and in the Main stairwell landings on floors 1 to 4.
Fines are payable to the Office of the Dean of Students (Welfare), 4 Taviton Street.
Repeat offenders will be referred to the Dean of Students (Welfare).
All fines go to Student Support Services.
You may appeal this fine to the Dean of Students (Welfare) on the following conditions.
- You were forced to leave the library during an emergency.
- You were mistaken for someone else.
If you wish to appeal, you must do so within 10 working days. To do so you must make an appointment via 0207 679 4545 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A full version of Library Regulations can be found at: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/library/regs.shtml or please speak to Library staff for a summary of the Regulations.
Top of page
Last modified 08 February 2012