|Eligibility for membership of UCL Libraries
Arrangements for membership and provision of library and information services
are set out in a Library Service Agreement
between the following NHS Trusts, NHS London (North Central area) and UCL.
Health workers employed by these NHS Trusts are entitled to join UCL libraries:
- Camden & Islington NHS Foundation Trust
- Camden Provider Services
- Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust
- Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust
- Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Trust
- University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust:
Health workers who are not employed by one of the above Trusts should apply in
advance to the Library site they wish to visit.
Sometimes a fee will be charged.
Back to top
NHS staff should join at their nearest
medical library site,
which is their "Home" library. Proof of identity will be required (Trust
ID card), as well as proof of home address.
NB. Staff based in the community should
join at their nearest library.
Registration will be completed upon submission of an
application form and an introduction to the Library will be provided.
If the end of contract is less
than three months from the date of application to join the Library, membership will
be for reference use only and borrowing will not be possible.
For staff on rotation, Home library privileges apply while the staff member
is based on site. If staff rotate to a site served by another UCL Library, Home library status
normally moves with them. If staff rotate to a Trust not covered by the Library Service Agreement,
library privileges over and above reference access are governed by local agreements, and may vary
from site to site. Reference services only are provided to non-medical students on placement.
Back to top
|Benefits of Library membership for NHS employees
Home Library - services and resources
Value added services provided at your Home library include:
- Document delivery and Inter Library Loans
- Information skills training
- Support for research
- Access to at least one professionally qualified member of staff
See details of services available at your
All UCL Libraries - services and resources
Core services, available to all users on all library sites, include:
- Borrowing from the loan collections, including books
- Multimedia and elearning resources
- Enquiry services
- Access to photocopiers
- Access to several thousand electronic journals, and databases, from library terminals
- Modern study facilities
From the workplace - online resources
Access, with an NHS Athens account, to electronic resources enabled and procured by UCL:
- c. 250 ejournals published by Lippincott through the
- c. 50 ejournals through the
- c. 120 ebooks through the
- 70 Oxford Handbooks and Textbooks through the
Back to top
|NHS staff with honorary UCL appointments
NHS staff who hold honorary appointments with UCL are eligible
to register with the Library as academic staff and access the full range of
UCL's electronic resources, on and off-site.
|Other NHS library services
There are other Libraries based in Trusts covered by the Library Service
Agreement, which are not part of the agreement:
Healthcare Library (Whittington Health)
- Bloomsbury Healthcare Library (UCLH)
- CAMLIS (Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine)
A number of online books,
journals and bibliographic databases are procured by the NHS
for NHS staff. Assistance with using these is available from your Home library.
Top of page
Last modified 9th June 2011