Built 30th Nov -0001 | Occupied 1st Jan 1840 - 27th Sep 1870
Botleys Mansion, an 18th century Palladian mansion in Botley Park, was owned by Briscoe's father-in-law Sir Joseph Mawbey but the estate was broken up following his death in 1817. Botleys Mansion still stands: see http://www.botleys-mansion.co.uk/ [accessed 25/06/2013]. Briscoe bought part of the estate in 1822.
Foxhills, Victorian classicist country (manor) house, was built on the estate by John Ivatt Briscoe around 1840 and is currently a hotel and spa, see http://www.foxhills.co.uk/about-us/our-history.aspx?css=1 [accessed 25/06/2013]. Botley's Park Hospital was built on the estate in the 1930s, see http://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/botleyspark.html [accessed 25/06/2013].
We are grateful to Tom David for his assistance in compiling this entry.
The house and estate appeared to have been owned through a series of trusts, Briscoe having inherited it by a marriage settlement on marrying Anna Maria Mawbey, 24 September 1819. "By his will of 27 September 1870 Briscoe bequeathed the manor of Epsom and lands in Epsom to Henry Blackburn of the Hollands near Tunbridge Wells, Kent, esq. By his will of 30 Nov 1871, Henry Blackburn bequeathed the properties to his nephew Charles Vernon Strange. Strange then bequeathed the property in his will of 4 Aug 1876 to his brother James Stuart Strange." [From Surrey CRO notes.]