Built 1st Jan 1773
Georgian mansion set in estate of approx. 180 acres.
The image, from Hertfordshire Genealogy, is of the house c. 1904.
Built in 1773; owned by James Gordon, James Adam and Emma Katherine Gordon (later re-married to Richard Bright, M.P. for East Somerset, who died at Stocks in 1878). Mrs. Bright died in 1891, and left the estate to Sir Edward Grey, (1862-1933), 1st Viscount Grey of Fallodon, Foreign Secretary 1905-1916. He never lived there. Sold the house to Mr. T. Humphry Ward, whose wife, Mrs. Humphry Ward, = the novelist.
Subsequently owned by various private individuals, used as a school 1944-c.1972, and purchased by V. Lownes (Playboy magazine) in the 1970s. Later private owners to the present.
For sources see 'Parishes: Aldbury', A History of the County of Hertford: volume 2 (1908), pp. 143-8, accessed, 15 April 2010; Hertfordshire genealogy
Image: Stocks House, Aldbury
Published by Newman, Berkhamsted circa 1904
Source: Hertfordshire Genealogy website