Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 1848
Claimant or beneficiary
London merchant, partner in Nelson & Adam (q.v.), awarded the compensation for Pembroke estate in Tobago as mortgageee, two awards in Trinidad as assignee and for Wood Hall in St Dorothy Jamaica as trustee. Counterclaimed unsuccessfully for Spring Head in Barbados and Belle Garden in Tobago as mortgagee.
- Will of Benjamin Adam, merchant of St Olave Hart Street, City of London, proved 30/10/1848. No record of a birth or marriage has been found for Benjamin Adam, but he was probably the Benjamin Adam who was the father of William Adam and Benjamin Adam who married at St John Hackney 13/06/1839 and 13/06/1843 respectively. William Adam succeeded to a partnership in Nelson & Adam after Benjamin Adam's withdrawal in 1838. The deaths of two men named Benjamin Adam were registered at Edmonton Q4 1847 (with the burial 31/12/1847 at All Saints Edmonton, aged 79) and Q2 1848: the date of probate is more consistent with the second of these.
T71/891 Tobago nos. 55 and 62 (Belle Garden); T71/893 Trinidad nos. 991 and 992; T71/853 St Dorothy no. 92; T71/899 Barbados no. 4310 (Spring Head).
- PROB 11/2081 (Hart Street is the continuation of Crutched Friars, and Savage Gardens is adjacent. Nelson & Adam and its predecessors and successors are shown at Crutched Friars and then Savage Gardens in the 1820s and 1830s); Ancestry.com, London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921 [database online]; FreeUKGen, England and Wales Free BMD Database, Deaths, 1837-1983 [database online]; Ancestry.com, London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980 [database online].
Associated Claims (6)
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1834 [SY] - 1834 [EY] → Mortgage Holder
Savage Gardens, City of London, Middlesex, London, England
See notes on claim Jamaica (St Dorothy): 92