According to Cunningham, Handbook for London, the Marine Society (office 54, Bishopsgate Street) was instituted in 1756, by Fowler Walker, Sir John Fielding, and Jonas Hanway, for the purpose of fitting out beggar-boys and others for service at sea. This Society places out annually from 500 to 600 boys, principally in the merchant service. A yearly subscription of 2 guineas or of 12 guineas at one time constitutes a governor. The present house was built for the Society in 1774. Peter Cunningham, A Handbook for London, past and present (London, John Murray, 1850).
Steward in 1817; possibly earlier and not known when left office. Morning Chronicle, 16 April 1817.