UCL Laws Research Degree Programmes

Entry Requirements for the Research Degrees

The minimum entry requirement is a UK bachelor's degree in an appropriate subject, awarded with First or good upper second-class Honours, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard from a university or educational institution of university rank.

We have a strong preference for a recognised LLM or equivalent Master's degree. We would normally expect a distinction overall on the LLM/Master's degree, with evidence particularly of First class ability (or equivalent) in extended written work/dissertation.

For those who do not have an LLM or Master's degree, we normally require alternative evidence of the applicant's ability to undertake high quality written research, for example, through relevant research work experience.

Non law degrees: We welcome applications from those whose previous academic study has been in a relevant discipline other than law. In addition to the above formal academic qualifications, the applicant must demonstrate a sufficiently deep and detailed understanding of the most closely relevant areas of law or legal thought, and explain in their application why their proposed research is best conducted within a law faculty.

Language Requirement

Important Notice:

The Home Office has issued an update about the acceptance of ETS tests (including TOEFL). They have confirmed that Higher Education students applying for a Tier 4 visa may use a TOEFL test taken after 17 April, if a Higher Education Institution is willing to use its academic discretion. For those students entering in September 2014, UCL will continue to accept the TOEFL even if it was taken after 17 April. However, if an applicant still needs to book a test then we recommend that they take an alternative test to TOEFL. Those who have already arranged to take a different test following the previous advice from the Home Office, we encourage you to go ahead with taking the alternative test.

The TOEFL test will continue to be accepted for 2014 entrants who have been asked to take an English language qualification as part of their offer condition, and do not need to apply for a visa to study in the UK.

All applicants whose first language is not English must provide recent acceptable evidence that their command of the English language, both spoken and written, is at the required level.
The Faculty reserves the right, in individual circumstances, to specify an additional language requirement for an applicant.

We accept the following English language proficiency tests:

IELTS: Overall grade of 7.5 with a minimum of 6.5 in each of the subtests
Pearson Test of English (PTE): 75 overall, with a minimum of 62 in each component.
UCL Pre-Sessional Course: Mark of 75%, with at least 65% in each of the subtests.
UCL Diploma in English for Academic Purposes (DEAP): Overall mark of 75%, with at least 65% in each of the four subtests.
Cambridge Proficiency in English (CPE): CPE Grade B and overall score of 56 and above. No less than a ‘good’ pass in each skill.
Cambridge Advanced English (CAE): CAE pass of 74 points, with no less than 58 points in each subject

It is advisable to book a place as early as possible as test dates fill up quickly. Please note that the test result must have been awarded no more than two years prior to the proposed date of enrolment.

We would urge you to take a language test in your own country in order to meet the English language condition. Only if this proves impractical should you consider coming to the UK to undertake a language course at UCL. If you wish to pursue a pre-sessional course at UCL, you must contact the UCL Language Centre to see whether you are eligible. Please note that you are entirely responsible for all the costs involved in attending the UCL pre-sessional course. You are asked to therefore consider very carefully your options before you make the decision to attend the UCL pre-sessional course. The pre-sessional courses book up extremely quickly so it is advisable, if you choose this route, to book well in advance. For further information please see the web site: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/language-centre/

We do not normally accept results from any language centre other than UCL. If you do take an English language course elsewhere, you will need to sit/resit TOEFL/IELTS in order to meet the English language requirement as above.

The Faculty may also accept evidence of substantial education (minimum twelve months) or work experience (minimum eighteen months) conducted in English and undertaken no more than two years prior to the proposed date of enrolment. Students who need a TIER 4 student visa need to ensure that this complies with the regulations of the UK Border Agency.