Advanced Issues in Family Law : Globalization, Multiculturalism and Religion
Indicative list of TOPICS parentheses
TERM 1: Theoretical perspectives
Part I: Introductory concepts
1. What is a Family?
2. What is a Mother?
3. What is a Father?
4. What is a Child?
PART II: Legal Globalization
5. Legal Pluralism: Definition and Implications
6. Informal Legal Pluralism: Customary, Arranged and Forced Marriages
7. Institutionalised Legal Pluralism: Parallel Court Systems, Religious Courts and Religious Law
8. Coordinating Legal Orders: the role of Conflict of Law Rules
9. Surmounting Plurality?: EU Harmonization of Family Law
10. The role of International Human Rights Law
TERM 2: Specific Issues
Part I: the Impact of Equality Rights
1. Civil Partnerships, Same sex marriages and Human Rights
2. Succession: Equality (between children, between genders and between same and opposite-sex couples) v. religious and national traditions
Part II: The Impact of Mobility
3. Divorce and Forum Shopping
4. Reproductive Tourism and EU Law : Abortion and Medically assisted procreation
5. International Surrogacy
PART III: the Welfare of Children in a Multicultural World
8. Protecting the child from harm: medical decisions and circumcision
10. Revision Class