- Moorhead tells leading practitioners, City lawyers are part of the precarious professionalism problem
- CEL Director appointed to Harvard Fellowship at Edmond J. Safra Center
- CEL Director Comments on Recruitment and Diversity at the Bar
- CEL Director on Baroness Butler Sloss' Resignation from Child Abuse Inquiry
- Is sustainability improving corporate and professional ethics?
- CEL Director comments on Canadian reform of professional regulation
- Video Available of Lawrence Lessig Delivering CEL Annual Lecture 2014
- CEL Awarded LEF Grant
- ULL Honorary Professor, Stephen Mayson joins the Centre for Ethics and Law
- Commercial awareness and the lawyer’s moral compass
- Centre Director Comments on Extraordinary Criticisms of Leading Law Firm
- CEL Director Suggests Legal Aid Cuts Will Hit Quality and May Hasten Fusion
- Picking up ethical challenges in professional practice: can 3D avatars help?
'The conversation we never had' - SRA to overhaul handbook for in-house counsel as UCL unveils ethics research
Published: Apr 17, 2015 2:14:00 PM
Published: Apr 1, 2015 12:37:59 PM
Published: Mar 3, 2015 10:41:36 AM
Published: Nov 27, 2014 3:41:48 PM
CEL Director Comments on Recruitment and Diversity at the Bar
28 July 2014
In an article by Frances Gibb for The Times, Richard Moorhead comments on the results of a recent Bar Council/Bar Standards Board survey which show that Oxbridge degrees and secondary schooling are important factors in recruitment and promotion to the rank of Queen’s Counsel at the Bar. In particular, the research shows that once the impact of a candidates length of call, degree grade and law school has been taken account of where a candidate went to school until the age of 18 made a significant difference to whether they achieved silk. He commented:"With serious problems at both ends of the profession, not all of which can be blamed on legal aid cuts, the recruitment and promotion practices at the Bar remain a serious impediment to a diverse judiciary"
- Read the full article on The Times website (pay-per-view article)
Page last modified on 28 jul 14 12:53